RickW Ph18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: RickW Ph18

Post by cape man »

Now the fun begins! 😁
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That's a happy day when you get to see it upright!

Hank

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Two thumbs up
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice!! Jeff

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

Need some pointers gentleman, as I think ahead. Got busy with my kids moving but back to the boat build now.

I have laminated my transom in and taped the seams. I'm going to try and get the inside glassed next weekend (I have my boys to help on the weekends). I can't really reach the center 3rd of the hull along the keel from outside the hull, how do I deal with getting the glassed laid in? Do I just climb inside and work it? I'm worried about stepping on the glass and sliding it around. Do I need to make a platform suspended from the sides so I can lay a foot over the bottom?

When tabbing the stringers, i appears the plans call for tabbing to the hull with 6" tape, do I need to glass all the way to the top of the stringer with tape? The Phantom has thin stringers, so looks like it would be difficult to go around the top.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

When I did the inside of mine, I worked from the ends(fore/aft) to the center and from the middle(inboard) out. I’m not really sure why. I’m sure in the moment, it made sense for some reason. But in retrospect, it would have been easier to start at one end and work my way “out” the other end.

I ran a central piece full width first, then a piece on either side that met in the center and overlapped the chine. I worked wet on wet, which did cause some issues where I had no choice but to kneel on wet fabric(properly protected) to reach the center. As expected, there was some fabric bunching and futzing and swearing, but wasn’t horrible.

In hindsight, I’d try to work more “wet on green” to avoid some of those issues and frustrations, but I’m OK with the end result.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Of course, working inside pre-glass and bulkheads means the hull should be very well supported in proper alignment.

You didn’t need me to say that, but it needed to be said. :)

Jbo

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

jbo_c wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:50 am Of course, working inside pre-glass and bulkheads means the hull should be very well supported in proper alignment.

You didn’t need me to say that, but it needed to be said. :)

Jbo
I made sure the cradle was sturdy, I have already been inside to tape the keel, it is solid. I wouldn't stand in the bow although there is a support under the bow and under both sides up from the sides of the jig, not seen here, but the rear 2/3rd's is fine. I like the idea of running a 50 inch wide cloth down the center first, I could work back from the bow and un roll it as I go along. Then I'll do from that center piece to the chines, and up the sides, wet on wet, from outside the hull. I am glassing up the sides so that will work. I measured it out and it's going to be good. I have already added an extra layer of tape to the keel, both inside and out, so I am not worried about losing a layer there on the overlap. I think that is a winner of an idea! Thanks! MY Son and Brother in law are going to help, the 3 of us did the outside of the hull in a short day, so it should go ok. My son mixes and helps wet out while my Brother and I wet out, and try not to drink to many beers.
https://community.boatbuildercentral.co ... 5/flip.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Having family help with the build would make it a lot more fun! good for you :wink:

Rrick411
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rrick411 »

Have been away from the build a couple months. The past month with broken ribs, finally back to where I think I can lean over and work it. Thinking a head a bit. I have an old aluminum boat with a great running Yam 70 2 stroke I was going to put on this build. We fixed up that old girl a bit and my grandson wants her so I will buy a new power plant for my build. My build is heavy, being new to laying up more than small repairs with glass, I'm sure there is extra resin in my build. We also added an extra layer of glass to the bottom of the hull, just the outside, and also glassed the sides all the way up (Optional but we know us). the boat will have a 25 gal live well, 25 gal fuel tank, and a trolling motor with 2 batteries. 2 of us most of time fishing (400 pounds) but often enough a third, my 270 pound boy or the 6'6" 310 pound grandson. Top speed is not a big deal, I'm more interested in a 30 mph cruise and some get up out of the hole. We don't have long runs. I was thinking a Yam or Zuke 90 in the 350 pound range on a jack plate. My issue is Yam makes a 1 liter 70 that weighs 253 pounds, that's 2 banger weight. I was reading in the forums where a 70 will push this hull to over 40 mph top end, would that be optimistic for my build? Is the 90 the correct line of thinking? I figured I had the old 70 to test the performance, but that is out now.