Gf16 extra hull glass

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Gf16 extra hull glass

Post by Edd »

OlivierP wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:06 pm I'd start with the biax layer for hull strength, then I would add a layer of kevlar or dynel for abrasion. If not available, I would add a second layer of biax. In any case, 4-5 layers of graphite/epoxy as finish. On my GF14 I left the epoxy-graphite bottom bare and I've been beaching regularly for the last 3 years.
Thanks 👍🏻

Dr Pete
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dr Pete »

Graphite fiber could add some strength to the epoxy. Graphite powder…not. 1708 on my boat. Epoxy is pretty durn strong stuff. Oyster shell wear and tear will still win out.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

DrPete one layer of 1708 is not as strong as 2 layers of 12oz. Coating the bottom with 3-4 coats of 25% graphite powder to epoxy makes a coating that is nearly scratch resistant to oysters and other sea creatures. A pound of graphite powder is sold in the store for about $7-8. Guys have been using a graphite/epoxy bottom coating for years with excellent results.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978