C12 Alternative Sail and Jib

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Ahmed
New Poster
New Poster

C12 Alternative Sail and Jib

Post by Ahmed »

Hi,

I've purchased the C12 plans back in 2017, I just decided to start the build couple of weeks ago.

Unfortunately, it's really hard to find good supplies store either for wood or fiberglass supplies. The only plywood I was able to buy is 6mm non waterproof, 10mm waterproof and 13mm waterproof.

When it comes to fiberglass supplies, the only fiberglass cloth I was able to find is woven 600 gr/m2 nothing less. They mostly use biaxial and they have no idea about the specs. they carry one type of fiberglass tape.

Anyway, I am going to use whatever I can find to build the C12.

I have some experience in sailing but almost zero experience in carpentry and fiberglass but I am a fast learner.

I think enough of the introduction and lets start with the questions.

I currently have a Minicat 420 and I want to use the sail and jib of that one on my C12

Main sail area is 6.5m2 (70 sq.ft.)
Jib area 3.2m2 (34 sq.ft.)

Since a different sail setup is going to be used, CE is no longer in the intended location in comparison to CLR, therefore I am planning to bring the mast back so that CE is almost at the CLR.

1. Does what I am trying to do make sense?
2. Is the new mast location correct?
3. Should I consider only a Mainsail as the area is enough, or the C12 design can handle a total sail area of 9.6m2 (103 sq.ft.)?

I have already cut all panels and transom, I will be waiting for response on the mast location as this will dictate location and dimensions of the front frame.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C12 Alternative Sail and Jib

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

How strong is the typical wind you might sail in? If very light then I'd be tempted to use main and jib. But otherwise just the main would be wiser. I think otherwise you'll be quite overpowered.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24