Using cypress

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Using cypress

Post by jbo_c »

Not really a core material, but couldn’t decide where else it would fit.

Anybody know if cypress is prone to checking? Im using cypress for rub rails and I’m trying to decide whether or not to glass them. Will likely not glass fully if it isn’t prone to check. Unglassed face would be the narrower edge facing the water.

Thanks.

Jbo

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Using cypress

Post by TomW1 »

jbo what type of cedar, there are several. Red, white, swamp, etc. Each have their own characteristics. White cedar is the most durable and long lived it is rot resistant. Red cedar is resinous and makes good fence poles and cedar closets. So if you use white cedar you are good as it weathers to a pleasing gray no fiberglass needed.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Cypress, not cedar. Found an old post on another board by a knowledgeable member that said it is prone to checking.

Guess I’ll glass all exposed sides.

Jbo

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

My experienced with cypress is it's splintery. It is used as an outdoor material, my bil used it for decking at his house. It looks great, and he hasn't had problems with splinters yet. It may be that it all depends on how it is sawn, but compared to other woods I formed an opinion from use.
Hank

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I can see it being a little splintery. I’ve used a bit and had no issues. Glassing should prevent that too.

Really was hoping not to glass. Adds more fairing/smoothing that I was ready to move on from. :)

Jbo

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo I misread yea cypress is a good wood for a boat see this. https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/ ... ress-wood/ Wheater's to a nice gray. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

My Chesapeake Light Craft kayak came with cypress for the cleats to attach the deck. It's been awhile since I built it but I remember it to be light, flexible, strong and planed down easily. It did not split out easily and I think that is why they specified it for the cleats. You use a lot of bronze nails to attach the deck, i think every 4 inches.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I bought a Cedar strip canoe from a friend 32 years ago with cypress rubrails. 8 years ago I sanded it down and refinished it, and the gave it back to him. The cypress looked like new. The trick is to completely seal it in epoxy and the coat it with a uv inhibitor. He and I used Helmsman spar. If I did it today I would use the EMC clear coat. The other trick is to get good clear boards to start with. It's not as hard as ash, which I used for the rubrails on the canoe I built, but it's a lot easier to find in long boards and a LOT cheaper.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman