17' Fast Skiff

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Ops

17' Fast Skiff

Post by Ops »

I'm thinking about building this as my first boat build. Have woodworking and fiberglass experience, but wonder if anyone can comment on this boat being a good choice for fishing and use in the Delaware Bay off Cape My Point up to Fortescue, NJ. Any comments are much appreciated.
Jon

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 17' Fast Skiff

Post by fallguy1000 »

Ops wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:06 pm I'm thinking about building this as my first boat build. Have woodworking and fiberglass experience, but wonder if anyone can comment on this boat being a good choice for fishing and use in the Delaware Bay off Cape My Point up to Fortescue, NJ. Any comments are much appreciated.
Jon
I think it is about the minimum boat for that area. I am not from there, but the fs17 is not really for offshore, so you'd need to be darn careful about avoiding headwinds that pick up later in the day or it'd be a brutal slog to back port.

A more capable boat for offshore use is the c19 which could also be made with a full transom and 25" leg.

If you plan to trailer and mostly fish offshore; I use a 16' skiff on Lake Superior, but I also have to really watch the weather and usually plan to return to port with winds abaft. This is better fishing, for a pro tip.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:56 am
Ops wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:06 pm I'm thinking about building this as my first boat build. Have woodworking and fiberglass experience, but wonder if anyone can comment on this boat being a good choice for fishing and use in the Delaware Bay off Cape My Point up to Fortescue, NJ. Any comments are much appreciated.
Jon
I think it is about the minimum boat for that area. I am not from there, but the fs17 is not really for offshore, so you'd need to be darn careful about avoiding headwinds that pick up later in the day or it'd be a brutal slog to back port.

A more capable boat for offshore use is the c19 which could also be made with a full transom and 25" leg. It is more boat, will take longer to build, but capable of some heavier seas. Still not one to get caught in fast 4-6 footers.

If you plan to trailer and mostly fish offshore; I use a 16' skiff on Lake Superior, but I also have to really watch the weather and usually plan to return to port with winds abaft. This is better fishing, for a pro tip unless currents do not match wind..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

The FS17 would be okay if you watch the weather and sea states. It is to small to be an all weather boat on the ocean. I have never been up to your part of the coast but if is as snarly as the coast of Carolina can get I would recommend the FS19 or C19. Particularly the C19. It has the best sea keeping abilities of any of the open boats in the 17-19' range.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Bigger is always bigger, but the boat should be capable of getting you home alive at semi displacement speeds, long after you wish you were in a bigger boat.

If this is the biggest you can build then go for it, if not then go bigger. The FS19 will be much more capable for not a lot more cost, especially if you build it light and go easy on the hp.

I built the C17 which will be drier in a blow up, but I do not think it really more capable than the FS17. Both can take bad weather safely, but I would not choose to take either out if I was expecting winds in excess of 5-15 variable. Just not fun.