is this an uh oh? otter 16 build

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
madtom
New Poster
New Poster

is this an uh oh? otter 16 build

Post by madtom »

I'm building an otter 16 and am currently priming the hull.

Everything looks great, but I might have found a problem...I used a pneumatic brad nailer to attach some decorative strips on the outside the outside of the hull. After the glue dried, the nails were pulled and the holes filled with epoxy coated toothpicks. That said, three of the brads landed on ribs and broke off flush or slightly below the wood when I tried to pull them. Looking back, I should have just driven them in further, but I forgot all about them until just now....

Anyway, while looking over the first coat of primer I see 3 tiny little dimples, which isn't a big deal and they could be filled pretty easy. However, I'm remembering now that while applying the primer I saw a tiny little shiny dot where one of the dimples are now. I didn't think too much about it, but now realize it was one of the broken brad heads.

The hull is coated with cloth and 3 good coats of epoxy. Do I need to worry about those broken brads working their way out at some point? Is it something I could "Keep an eye on" or is it a definitive no-no?
The boat will only be rowed or putt-putt- putted around with a 2 hp for picnic and sight seeing on calm days, no hard use.

If those few brads aren't a deal breaker, I'd really like to keep going with primer and paint. What do ya'll think, do I need to drive them in further now and refill with epoxy (and wait for it to dry), or just dab a little extra primer in the dimples and keep going?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: is this an uh oh? otter 16 build

Post by bklake »

Drive them in and seal with epoxy. What will happen, if too near the surface, is that they will rust. The rust will show through and eventually expand and split the wood. A short delay now to save a future full of problems.

I don't know if stainless brads are even a thing but I would check. Bronze brads are best but that is something I've never seen.

That is my opinion based on salt water experience.

madtom
New Poster
New Poster

Post by madtom »

thanks bklake, that's what I was afraid of. But just to be clear, the brads are under the cloth and 3 coats of epoxy. Does that change anything?
I guess I'm still just hoping for the answer I want to hear, lol....

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would just drill them out to an inch or so below the surface and fill with epoxy. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

They are sealed as well as they are going to be sealed. I've never used anything but copper wire for panels and ring shank bronze nails. I can tell you that ring shank bronze nails aren't going to back out until the wood around it rots away 1000 years from now.

Leave them as they are and move on. In 5 years, if you see little spots of rust bleeding through, you know why. Drill through the surface, sink the nail and reseal with epoxy. It will make a nice off season repair. Get on the water now, summer is slipping away.

madtom
New Poster
New Poster

Post by madtom »

Thanks for the comments and good advice. I decided to just go with it, and it is very reassuring to hear from bklake.
Like he says, summer is slipping away so fast....

I've posted a couple pictures and apologize if its not okay to put them here. Still some shaping to do at the bow/rubrail junction. And then more sanding before the final coat of epoxy on the accent strips. Fingers crossed will be painting by Sunday.
Thanks for the help on this.

https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... ?pid=75769
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... ?pid=75770

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I clicked on your link to open the image, right click and copied image address, pasted that into message, highlight it, click on picture icon above to put [/img] on both ends. I think there are other ways to get it done, but that's the one I use.

Looking good!

Hank