Pre planning new build in Central TX

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
froggy0423
New Poster
New Poster

Pre planning new build in Central TX

Post by froggy0423 »

Hello all,
Looking to build either a FS14LS or PH15. Want it to be in foam core. According to posts in here, the PH15 seems difficult for a first build.. Any thoughts and maybe some suggestions on what you would do again on another build or maybe never to again if you were to build again. I want to primarily use this down in the Texas coast and smaller freshwater systems here in central Texas. Need it to be stored in my garage, which these 2 options seem to work the best. Please feel free to give any constructive criticism, advice, and positive vibes.
Thank you!
Marcos (froggy0423)

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Pre planning new build in Central TX

Post by fallguy1000 »

The thing that needs to be resolved is whether there are scantlings a/o building notes for foam.

It is not the same as building in ply.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

froggy0423
New Poster
New Poster

Post by froggy0423 »

Thank you for the reply. Yes I’ve read in different posts that it is different than building in ply. That is a good question to know the answer to before I purchase my set of plans..

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

froggy there are plans for the PH15 in foam version. I would buy the CNC kit and the System 3 kit as the Sys3 works best with foam. https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... lans-ph15/ There has been one PH15 foam built that I know of in Florida west coast.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

froggy0423
New Poster
New Poster

Post by froggy0423 »

Ok I’m kinda confused now.. I thought the cnc kit is made of plywood, not making it foam core..
So I do see that I could purchase either version of the PH15. In building notes for the FS14LS, it just states that it could be built in foam core and says that the building notes include more details for these builds.
I really like the wider beam of the PH15 but am not sure about the complexity of the build, as this will be my first build..

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Okay now is the time to get on the phone to Jeff and see if the foam PH15 is available in a kit. Or if the FS14LS foam kit is available then go for it. It will definitely be easier to build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

froggy0423
New Poster
New Poster

Post by froggy0423 »

Ok thank you Tom. Very much appreciated. I will reach out to him for sure.

froggy0423
New Poster
New Poster

Post by froggy0423 »

So I had been in contact with Reid and he had answered all of my questions so far I had for my pre-build. I decided to purchase the plans for the FS14LS, and just purchased them the other day! I am excited to start my build! I unfortunately have a few projects going on that I need to get out of my garage and with this sweltering heat down here in Texas, I am guesstimating to be starting in December. Until then, I will be studying my plans, doing my measurements to make it +10%, and reviewing other FS14LS builds that could help me with ideas for mine. I will eventually start a build thread when I do. If any of yall guys have any suggestions for my build, I am more than happy for y’all to post them here.
Thank you!
Marcos (froggy0423)

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Congratulations on your decision. What are you going to build it out of, foam or ply?
Hank

froggy0423
New Poster
New Poster

Post by froggy0423 »

I am going to do all foam core.