Page 1 of 1

new to the forum

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:09 am
by 1974oday20
hello and greetings from the great white north in ontario canada, I am getting a 1974 O'day 20 and have a few questions. 1st. gk108? followed posting of his refit but cannot see pictures of the work he has done. ? anyone know if hes still around? 2- anyone that owns the same year boat as i do, did you set the cabin sole below where it was? in order to gain a lil bit more headroom? bunks and v-birth not included in this question. 3 what was used to seal your hardware from leaks? 4 anyway to make the settee births a big bigger ? ie drop the bed down somehow? any other mods for this boat? besides making a new bulkhead for the companionway step.....? and pictures are greatly appreciated. tia

Re: new to the forum

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:13 am
by fallguy1000
I like to bed hardware in butyl.

Bulkheads do not get moved. If you want a longer bunk; you may be able to cut a decent sized headhole in one.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:22 pm
by TomW1
Don't cut a head hole in the smaller forward bulkhead cut a foot hole in the aft one as it is wider and will be stronger.

Tom

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:24 pm
by 1974oday20
ok 1st of all i wasnt planning on moving any bulkheads. as far as i see there is no bulkhead for the companionway. i like the aspect of this picture that is posted below . was thinking doing this except to the portside with the bigger of the 2 sides. 2nd butyl tape , is it better then using red silicone gasket.? any improvements to getting a lil bit larger headroom space? modifications? as for the settee bunks. can i somehow make them so when sleeping , they can be tucked down inside the well for a bit larger sleeping space? i dont need a bigger v-birth. tia

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:00 pm
by fallguy1000
TomW1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:22 pm Don't cut a head hole in the smaller forward bulkhead cut a foot hole in the aft one as it is wider and will be stronger.

Tom
Hahaha

Tom-the forward BH is the hull or a chain locker.

You are killin me man.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:15 pm
by OrangeQuest
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:00 pm
TomW1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:22 pm Don't cut a head hole in the smaller forward bulkhead cut a foot hole in the aft one as it is wider and will be stronger.

Tom
Hahaha

Tom-the forward BH is the hull or a chain locker.

You are killin me man.
You both have a valid point as to why NOT to cut a hole in the forward bulkhead....or hull. But it does sound like something I would do.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:47 pm
by 1974oday20
so im guessing that this redesign of the bulkhead will not work? wanna shine some light on this guys? as you can see there is a compression pole in behind the centre wood .

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:03 pm
by fallguy1000
If you drop the bunk lower; it gets smaller.