New SD 11 Semi Dory build

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
SV Renegade
New Poster
New Poster

New SD 11 Semi Dory build

Post by SV Renegade »

So I just got my kit yesterday afternoon, and couldn't wait to get to work. Got all of the pieces cut out, and will start joining the sections together this afternoon.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New SD 11 Semi Dory build

Post by Jeff »

Welcome SV!! Look forward to watching your build!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

This will be fun to watch. Post lots of pictures as you go and ask questions as needed. And remember the only dumb question is the one not asked :wink:

SV Renegade
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SV Renegade »

So can I fiberglass both sides of the butt joint on the hull side's?

Second question is that since I didn't like how one of of the sides didn't cure correctly due to me bumping one of the boards last night. Do I need to sand off all of the epoxy before trying to join them again?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You can fiberglass both sides of the joint now, if you don't at least fiberglass the outside joint you risk breaking it open when you bend it.

You say the epoxy didn't cure right on one of the joints, but it did on the other? If it didn't cure right you won't have much luck sanding it, but you would want to remove as much as possible with a scraper. If it cured okay, just rough it up with coarse sandpaper and continue, no need to remove what's on there.

The most common cause of improper cure is not mixing the two parts together well enough. The second most common cause is getting the ratio of hardener and resin wrong. Small batches are the hardest to measure accurately, if you tell us your system someone here may be able to help you improve it.
Hank

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Cool enjoy your build. I’m still in the dreaming phase, I’m seriously considering an AD16 for a build.

SV Renegade
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SV Renegade »

Jmk2000 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:24 pm Cool enjoy your build. I’m still in the dreaming phase, I’m seriously considering an AD16 for a build.
That would be a nice boat.

This was originally going to be a dinghy for a 1985 MacGregor 25 that my wife and I just bought. But it really doesn't have the weight capacity that we want, so it will be just something to play around with on a small lake by our house.

SV Renegade
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SV Renegade »

pee wee wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:47 am You can fiberglass both sides of the joint now, if you don't at least fiberglass the outside joint you risk breaking it open when you bend it.

You say the epoxy didn't cure right on one of the joints, but it did on the other? If it didn't cure right you won't have much luck sanding it, but you would want to remove as much as possible with a scraper. If it cured okay, just rough it up with coarse sandpaper and continue, no need to remove what's on there.

The most common cause of improper cure is not mixing the two parts together well enough. The second most common cause is getting the ratio of hardener and resin wrong. Small batches are the hardest to measure accurately, if you tell us your system someone here may be able to help you improve it.
The epoxy mix was good. I made the mistake of thinking it had already cured when I took a peek at it. User error.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Cut it apart so you can get the alignment correct. You only need to sand off enough of the old epoxy/glass to not have a large build up that will cause fairing issues.