Hardener sitting in heat all summer. Issues?

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
GrantL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hardener sitting in heat all summer. Issues?

Post by GrantL »

Hey everyone, random question.

I left a jug of hardener all summer in my garage heat (Texas) with a plunger screwed on the top. I noticed that it was possibly vaporizing a tiny bit and forming this crust around the spout of the plunger and then accumulating and falling to the ground. My question, is this something that is an issue and possibly changing the chemistry of the hardener to not work properly? Would love to use it if its still fine, but if not, i can buy a new jug. Thanks!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Hardener sitting in heat all summer. Issues?

Post by Fuzz »

I do not have the heat problem but I have used a bunch of old epoxy, over 20 years old,and not had any problems. I would just mix up a small batch and see how it acts.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Hardener sitting in heat all summer. Issues?

Post by OrangeQuest »

My warehouse in the Houston heat would get over 110 degrees in the summer and other than the epoxy pouring closer like water, it always worked fine. But even slow hardener had working time of fast. I used weight and scales to measure the amounts due to the viscosity changing with temperature. A few times in winter I would bring it into the office where there was heat. Most of the time I would not do any epoxy work when the temps dropped below 60 deg. Lucky for me, that doesn't happen to often here.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne