Current flotation foam best practices

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Current flotation foam best practices

Post by pee wee »

jbo_c wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:03 am
Finally, seems like I’ve seen advice to warm the components prior to mixing to maximize expansion(?). Necessary/good idea?

Thanks.

Jbo
When I used the foam I didn't warm the components above ambient temperature (it was in the nineties at the time), but I did take the step to warm the compartment I was filling with a space heater. A gallon of component has a weight of whatever, and will weigh close to the same after expanding. If a given amount fills four cubic feet when warm but only three if used when a bit cooler (don't ask where I got those figures), it's a little extra weight per cubic foot, but the biggest difference is the stuff is kind of expensive and you want your money's worth! If you have to buy more to fill all the compartments you plan to fill, it's costing more and adding some weight to your build.
If you warm the components it will react more quickly, I'd think about that if your weather is cool and the components are cool, but if it's already warm I'd let it be. I've seen photos of instances where mid-mix the stuff started reacting like crazy, practically exploding out of the mixing cup, so don't stand across the shed from where you want to pour, and don't disturb the stuff once it's out of the container.
Hank

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Current flotation foam best practices

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Too warm and you will get exotherm and broken bubbles. It's critical to get as close to factory settings as you can. Accurate measuring and mixing, limited pours and pour at a good room temperature. But it's not rocket science.