OD16 Two stringer option

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Pudgey1922
New Poster
New Poster

OD16 Two stringer option

Post by Pudgey1922 »

With the two plywood stringer option in the building notes, would the two remaining stringers stay in the same location and the middle stringer is simply eliminated?

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD16 Two stringer option

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Hi Pudgey1922

There's not a lot of OD16 builders currently active. I would be cautious removing stringers in general though. Possibly the notes refer to stringers of two layers rather than two stringers. In any case seek out Capeman or Fuzz. They both have built the OD18, the bigger version.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I do not have plans for the OD16 so I only can tell you about the OD18. On the 18 there were two stringers. The stringers were made out of 8 foot plywood. To get the needed length two pieces had to be spliced together. The reason it looks like two different stringers is because the splice is offset. This was the best use out of the plywood. JM worked very hard to get the most out of each sheet of wood.
If this is not clear or you have more questions please ask.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Pudgey1922 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:43 pm With the two plywood stringer option in the building notes, would the two remaining stringers stay in the same location and the middle stringer is simply eliminated?
Pudgey1922,

Page 6 of the build notes are pretty clear about the plywood stringer option. You simply omit the middle stringer and only use the two outside stringers. The outside plywood stringers must be made from two layers of 1/2" marine plywood. The seams of the two layers need to offset. This is what Fuzz was referring to.

Hope this helps,
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Pudgey1922
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Pudgey1922 »

Okay, that’s exactly what I read but coming from homebuilding that didn’t make sense. I was also concerned about the transom having one less thing to attach to. I will trust the process and follow the notes.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Bit of advice now that the designer is no longer with us.

Find a post from Jacquesmm on the forum, any post. He's in red.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4

Then click on his name and it brings up an info page. Click on 'search users posts.' You can type full words or use * as a wildcard.

He's answered all sort of questions on nearly every boat.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=4

Type in OD16 string*

I've used that feature to dig up old long forgotten answers.