Weight of CS25 v full fiberglass factory boat

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
FastEd05
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Weight of CS25 v full fiberglass factory boat

Post by FastEd05 »

Hello, i was wondering about the weight difference between ply glass sandwich and a production chop glass spray/lay up boat, being a CS 25 verses production glass. I think the CS 25 comes in at 900 kg hull less parts , motor etc. My hull i made seems to go very well with a 175 2 stroke, i haven't clocked it yet, but how fast would it go with the max of 250 HP on rear.
Attachments
224.jpg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Weight of CS25 v full fiberglass factory boat

Post by cape man »

Really fast! 50?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I totally agree with Cape Man lower to mid 50's. The finished hull as it leaves the dock will weigh less than a fiberglass hull. You have a very nice boat there sir.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

It's not that hard to estimate the weight difference between the two materials. Polyester glass has a relative density of about 1.5 though it varies on the quality of build. The typical materials used for these boats are about a relative density of 3/4- 1, depending on the amount of glass and type and thickness of plywood. So about 1/2-2/3 the weight at similar design and structure.

FastEd05
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FastEd05 »

Thanks for the replies, i was guessing with 175hp i was doing near 30 or a bit more, compared to my 17 ft tinny with a 60 command thrust which does 30 flat out.
I will keep saving for a near new 250 for her. Keep on dreaming i do. Cheers Ed