New boat from elsewhere

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: New boat from elsewhere

Post by fallguy1000 »

Looking forward to the build.

Assuming it is stitch n glue, let us know otherwise or sorry if I missed.

One of the things I always mention to new builder is to avoid hook in the hull. This can happen easily and is a bad problem; more so if severe. It can happen easily if the sides are manipulated after gluing as torque is introduced to the bottom panels.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Walter Thom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Walter Thom »

Thanks guys
I have received all of my supplies from BBC and am now cutting out the panels. Working with BBC has been great. I have been cutting out the hull panels and will be fine tuning all of the pieces before I start the stitching process. I will be using zip ties for this build and was wondering what size is best for strength. I am not worried about the length but I would like to know how wide/thick they should be. I do plan to use a zip tie puller to help with the tension and to help my old hands. I'll try to post some photos of my floundering through this process and would appreciate any advise given.
Thanks
Walter Thom

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I use mostly 3/16”, I think. Depending on how tight bends are, you could need a little larger in some places, but mostly you would just likely use the same size, but put them closer together in those areas.

Be careful with the puller as far as over tightening. And remember that often tightening in series in multiple steps will probably be your best bet vs. fully tightening one at a time. In other words, if you have 10 ties along a given joint, rather than tightening #1 fully, then #2 fully and so on, it is usually better to tighten 1-10 a little, then 1-10 a little more and continue in that way until the joint is closed cleanly. (Hope that makes sense.)

Jbo

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Most of the designs here don't require a ton of strength from the zip ties, but there are one or two that require substantial force to pull the bow panels together and some builders find that using copper wire in a few spots is helpful.

Not part of the original question, but backing up the zip tie with a short piece of pvc pipe helps align the panels.

The designs here are mostly composite construction where the plywood is used as a core and gaps between the panels are beneficial. Your boat design (as are a few of the designs here) uses stitch & glue construction which is slightly different, the close fit of panels may be more desirable with that method.
Hank

Walter Thom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Walter Thom »

It looks like 3/16" zip ties will be my go to size, spaced and tightened a little as I go. I was also considering the little pieces of PVC pipe to help with alignment. I saw that on a video and that looks like a nice little trick to help things go together. My boat will have fiber glass on the hull and decking and everything else will have at least three coats of epoxy thereby protecting all surfaces from mother nature.
Thanks
Walter Thom

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Walter as you get near the bow you will need to place the zip ties closer together. At the stern they can be farther apart. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Walter Thom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Walter Thom »

All great info!
Thanks
Walter Thom

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Walter Thom wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:30 am It looks like 3/16" zip ties will be my go to size, spaced and tightened a little as I go. I was also considering the little pieces of PVC pipe to help with alignment. I saw that on a video and that looks like a nice little trick to help things go together. My boat will have fiber glass on the hull and decking and everything else will have at least three coats of epoxy thereby protecting all surfaces from mother nature.
Thanks
Walter Thom
Much depends on climate, but users here have found laminating with even light glass is better than neat coats of epoxy alone. The glass makes it so the thermal expansion is the same. Just raw epoxy does not modify the wood enough and wood grains heat at varied rates under epoxy. So, for sunny climates or parts of the boat subject to sun; glass is best. It can be very thin glass, think 4oz, but offers better protection than epoxy alone. 4 oz glass wets with 4 oz epoxy and one neat coat is the same as 3 coats epoxy. So the cost is for the glass and maybe one extra coating of epoxy for weave fill.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Walter Thom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Walter Thom »

What is the temperature range for 2-1 Marinepoxy? It's about 45 out right now but I do have a heated work space.
Thanks
Walter

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I’ve used it down to 60F, but it takes a long time to cure(which is, of course) sometimes handy. I wouldn’t try using it below that.

Thats the slow hardener, by the way. Medium and fast will work into lower temps, but not sure how much lower.

If you’re in a heated workspace, all that matters is the temp of the space anyway.

Jbo