Fs12 in Steinhatchee

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Fs12 in Steinhatchee

Post by thb »

I have pulled the trigger on the plans for the FS12. I was going to build the gf16 but it required 4 sheets of 1/4 inch and 3 sheets of 3/8.

I have on hand 5 sheets of okume 1/4 inch and one sheet of okume 3/8. I can build the FS12 with what I have on hand being short one sheet of 3/8. I have 1/2 sheet of meranti 1/2 inch and 1/2 sheet of meranti 3/4 inch. I should be able to substitute some other material for the pieces shown on sheet 2 of the layout for the 3/8 ply. Transom and clamping boards and stern seat frame and bow frame out of 3/8 and then make other bits out of foam board with cloth and epoxy.

Question I have is the plans show butt blocks which probably will be inside the mid seat and the frames will butt up to them. Is that right? Was thinking of using 17-08 instead of butt blocks but realize butt blocks may be better way to go.

It has been many years since I built my fs14 which I sold to one of my grandsons several years ago. I built the rear seat top on it out of foam and 17-08 with epoxy. As I recall it soaked up so much epoxy I probably did not save any weight. Why not use 1/4 inch and coat it with 17-08 and eopxy.

I guess I have to build a strongback. Somehow I have to explain to TOWMBO why I am taking up another project. She is not going to be too happy. At least I will use up this plywood which has just been taking up space in my shop for 10 years.

regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fs12 in Steinhatchee

Post by thb »

I was just wondering what HP motors other builders have used on the FS12.

I see a 15 hp merc on one build. I have a 8 hp yamaha 2 stroke which I need to get running. I can also pick up an older 9.9 Johnson.

Has anyone used these motors and which would be preferred? I am happy to go just 20 mph.

Thanks
Tom in Steinhatchee

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Well I went thru my stack of marine ply again and low and behold I have 4 sheets of okume 1/4 inch, 3 sheets of okume 3/8 inch and one sheet of Meranti 1/4 inch.

There is enough material to either built the fs12 or the gf16. decisions decisiions. I already purchased the GF16 plans years ago.

I went thru my plans on hand and have 3 sets which I will never use PH15, ST21, GV15. I also found a set of FS12 plans which I did not know I had so my purchase yesterday of another FS12 set if extra.

Does BBC want me to send these back for some amount of credit against future orders???? I will call bbc this morning.

Regards

Tom in Steinhatchee

ctbeutel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ctbeutel »

Tom,

When I built my son the FS12 we started with a 5hp and it was not enough. I put a 4 stroke Mercury 9.8 and it worked great. Got it on plane and cruised just under 20.

Good luck on your build.

Chris
Owner of a FS18, completed FS12.

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Thanks for the input. If I go the route of the fs12, I will shoot to have at least a 9.9.

I have not decided yet if I will build the fs12 or the gf16.

regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

HI Chris,

I am over in your neck of the woods right now visiting my brother in Nockatee.

Regards
Tom

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Very different animals the FS12 and GF16, it depends on what space you need and how much you want to carry, 2p max with the FS12, 4+ easily with the GF16. The GF will plane with a 9.9 with 1-2 on board, for higher loads you'll need 15-20. The FS12 must be a fun little boat though.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

The other problem with the GF16 is it would need 3 sheets of 1/2 inch ply where I only have 3 sheets of 3/8 ply on hand.

I could probably beef up the 3/8 ply pieces with extra fabric and get the strength I would need. Most of the 1/2 inch parts are frames or transoms or seat tops.

Since my 3/8 is Okume the lighter weight even with glass beef up would still be similar weight to using 1/2 inch ply. I would like to see what BBC says about doing this.

Other problem is the flat bottom would get a pounding in any chop at all in the Gulf. Like the Carolina Skiffs I have rode in.

The 20 HP motors are a lot more expensive than the 9.8 or 9.9 motors. Heavier also.

My FS14 went good with the 15 yamaha 2 stroke. Stupid Grandson sold that motor and put 30 yamaha 2 stroke on it. Need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!

My next build will try to make it super light.

I am leaning toward building another FS14 which takes similar amount of ply as the FS12. Idea is to use up the ply I have on hand as from when I purchased it in 2012 at lower price and lower shipping cost.
Shipping costs have gone thru the roof thanks to inflation and our anti oil govt.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

thb wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:18 am
The 20 HP motors are a lot more expensive than the 9.8 or 9.9 motors. Heavier also.

My FS14 went good with the 15 yamaha 2 stroke. Stupid Grandson sold that motor and put 30 yamaha 2 stroke on it. Need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee
The Suzuki 9.9, 15, and 20 are the same motor. Most other makes are the same way. I converted my 9.9 to 20 and it was an easy computer swap. It ended up costing about $100 more to convert than just buying a 20. But, I have a 9.9 sticker on the outside and a 9.9 serial number on the motor. There are many lakes and small bodies of water that have HP restrictions. My kids can operate a boat under 10hp per state law. I'm not worried about them getting into performance related trouble because the boat it is on can just barely get on plane with the 20 and it can top out at about 18kts because of the way I propped it.

This is for a modern 4 stroke. The old Johnson 15 two stroke I had was a sold 30-35 lbs lighter.