Phantom 18 in Maine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jimmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimmiller »

PH18 is looking good .I'm building PH18 did you build it on a jig? :doh:
Keep up the good work . 8)

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey »

Thanks Jim,

Yes, the jig is under there. I used 6+ 2x6" and 6 castors. I highly recommend building one. I can easily move it in and out of my garage to wash it and clean the garage.

Good luck with yours and make sure you take/post plenty of pictures and ask tons of questions. These guys on this web site know their stuff. I've made a few mistakes that could have been avoided with a couple of questions.

Steve

Jimmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

PH18

Post by Jimmiller »

i'M GOING TO BUILD A JIG.i GOT 8CASTORS AND SOME 2X8X10 FOR
THE JIG.GOT ALL MY PLYWOOD CUT TO SIZE TODAY.

I READ ALL THE POST ON PH 15-16-18 :doh: BUT PUESTIONS WILL
COME UP????????????????????????????????????????????? :P

JIM [/u]

Jimmiller
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimmiller »

GOT TO READ POST BEFOR SUBMIT

:doh: Questions :roll:

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

production fiberglass boats weigh a ton...almost

Post by sgorey »

I finally brought the boat I bought to salvage parts and an engine from to the dump last weekend.

I drove onto a scale on the way in to set an initial weight. The operator instructed me to drive to the back of the dump. He also said that if I was lucky, there might be someone back there that could help me take the boat of the trailer.

I guess I was lucky because there were two guys. One in a front end loader and the second in a backhoe. The guy in the backhoe instructed me to back the boat up to his tractor. He then lowered the backhoe into the boat and motioned me to drive forward.

Before I knew it, the boat was off the trailer and being smashed to pieces. I think it made his day.

I as drove out, I passed over the scale again. The difference in weight was 1760 lbs.

www.nada.com says the boat should weigh 1700 lbs. I was suprised to see the numbers so close. I figured the boat would weigh much more due to all of the rotted wood and water soaked foam floatation.

Anyway, it's gone and now I can fix up the trailer. After that I'll flip the boat and begin on the inside.

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

she's flipped.

Post by sgorey »

Finally, after so many months of seeing the bottom of the hull, it's now right side up. I can't wait to get back to epoxy and glassing. The fairing and painting almost got the best of me.

I had my brother and 4 neighbors help with the flipping. It was quick. We had it on the trailer in 5 minutes.

The picture isn't good. I didn't have enough light in my garage. I mainly uploaded it to show how big and wide the phantom 18 is. I left a shovel in the hull for reference.

Thanks Rick for a brighter image.

My brother wanted to take it down to the marsh and see how it sets in the water, but we decided not to. I'll wait until the stringers and bulkheads are in place.

Steve

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey »

taped the interior seams on the hull yesterday.

Hopefully, I'll lay fiberglass tomorrow.

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey »

Fiberglassed the inside of the hull yesterday. It took around 6 hours. This time I used a rubber squeggy to remove extra epoxy in the cloth. It worked really nice.

I'll let it cure, then begin work on installing the stringers.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

good glass job :D

If you put it in the water before you add frames, floor, decks, and sole - the boat will float a lot higher than its designed to. You wont get a true feel for the boat until your close to its finished weight.

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey »

Thanks Joel.

I had forgotten how much work goes into wetting out fiberglass. I couldn't imagine working on a 25 footer. 18 is enough for me.

Steve