AD16 - Cool Change

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Insurance

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

JustRight wrote:Terry,

If you receive a certificate from your sailing class, it might help to lower your insurance rate. Membership and/or certificates from USCGA or Power Squadron may lead to a lower rate.

Check out BOAT US insurance.

Glad to see that you are proceeding on the boat.
The Small Boat course is a certified program from US Sailing.

Thanks Justin, I will make sure I mention it to the insurance company..
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

Finally, I have cut out the last part from the 22 sheets of plywood making up the AD16. Now I will complete any FG splices and will prep the parts for assembly. I spent last night cleaning the garage and throwing out all the scrap wood.

Looks like I will be finally building the basket mold this weekend.
It sure will be nice to finally see a boat starting to take shape..

Pictures coming later this week.
-- Benjamin Franklin

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

That must have some chop fest. I hate to hink how much wood you are pitching. It just seems like a huge amount of waste. I have been unable to throw away the scrap from the sheets that I have cut. I figure that I will finish the project and see what I can use along the way. I did use a short piece of 1/4 merenti ply to fix a hole in the wall of the stairwell leading to my garage. The whole house is made of oak lumber so I figured it was fitting.

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

ChrisObee wrote:That must have some chop fest. I hate to hink how much wood you are pitching. It just seems like a huge amount of waste. I have been unable to throw away the scrap from the sheets that I have cut. I figure that I will finish the project and see what I can use along the way. I did use a short piece of 1/4 merenti ply to fix a hole in the wall of the stairwell leading to my garage. The whole house is made of oak lumber so I figured it was fitting.
Actually they did a great job with the nesting and I had very little scrap. But since my room is limited, I thought it was time to do some house cleaning.
However, I did keep some 1/2 and 3/8 scrap for backing plates..
-- Benjamin Franklin

abr
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abr »

Hi Terry.
Many thanks for the new pics in your gallery:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=234

I really liked the "Lost-hull". You have got a "boat in a box": now just add some epoxy and ... voilà :wink: :wink: :wink:

Keep building and sending pics. Thanks in advance

Angelo

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

I am building my basket mold right now. The strong back is built and the 3 frames at locations, transom, Frame C and Frame A. I am in the process of attaching these to the strongback.

I will take some pics of the basket mold when it is complete.
I really liked the "Lost-hull". You have got a "boat in a box": now just add some epoxy and ... voilà Wink Wink Wink
I can't wait to see that hull taking shape. very soon now. :)
-- Benjamin Franklin

JustRight

Basket mold

Post by JustRight »

Terry,

I hate to beat a dead horse after the previous long threads on basket molds.

But. When I looked at your rendering for the basket mold, I wasn't sure whether it extends to the transom. From my experience with the VG, I recommend having a full frame at the transom.

Shaping the bow can be a problem. I gather that JM recommends a spreader half way back but you might find it handy to have some of the strong back extend forward enough to have something to push/pull the bottom a bit in order to get the shape right.

I do like the version of the strong back/frame in your rendering better than the early particle board egg crate since you will be able to selectively assemble and disassemble parts of the frame as needed during the glassing.

Looks like your are making good progress. We will probably be going through your area mid April on our way to the planned Dry Tortugas cruise. I look forward to seeing your AD then.

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

Justin,

My basket mold extends from the transom to Frame A, the bow is unsupported to allow for the bending and pulling back of the bow to establish the proper shape of the hull and the length of the boat.

There is full support at the transom, Frame C and Frame A with 2x4's defining the shape of the bottom and side panels. At Frame D and B, I only have supports for the bottom. This way the panels have some type of support between Frames A,C and Transom. I decided to not go with the particle board the defines the stringer shape as shown in my renderings of the basket mold.

Also the basket mold is setup that when I have the boat on its side to fiberglass the hull I will be able to remove enough of the mold to accomplish the task. I will have to modify the basket mold later when the keel is added to the hull bottom. Which shouldn't be a big deal, since I will have a very strong hull..

Hull assembly should begin next week, so come April, when you are driving through Phoenix, I should actually have a boat to show you and Edith. Hopefully it is not the week of the 11th, as I will be over in San Diego for a 4 day cruise..

I am looking forward to seeing you guys again, so keep in touch.. :)
-- Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

Well another week has gone by and now I can officially mark this date as when I started to assemble Cool Change.

I uploaded a couple of pics showing my basket mold and the assembled hull panels.

Next I will tab the hull so I can pull the stiches and start with the fiberglassing of the chine and keel seams. After that I will apply the biaxial cloth to the bottom. I am not sure how I am going to get the cloth layed on the bottom since there is no way I can stand outside of the boat and apply epoxy to the cloth and I don't think I really want to be climbing inside the boat until the cloth is layed.. :help:
-- Benjamin Franklin

popiworks
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

PVC Braces

Post by popiworks »

Terry,

I can see in your pictures that you used what appears to be 2" pieces of 1" pvc pipe as a brace inside the hull. I have not see this done before (Great Idea!). Is there anything on the exterior of the hull that is used in conjunction with the internal pvc pipe?