Page 1 of 1

OD16 getting closer

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:25 am
by anflyer
I am getting closer to the finish line. I flipped the boat over a couple of weeks ago and this past saturday I fiberglassed the outside with the biax and a layer of 4oz. cloth (wet on wet). It is incredible how much time the 4oz. should save in fairing. It leaves the surface very smooth. Will post some pics soon.

Anflyer

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:53 pm
by anflyer
Here are some pics right before it was flipped several weeks ago.......

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:58 pm
by anflyer
Here are some pics after being taped and sanded right before I laid the cloth.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:00 pm
by anflyer
The boat is now covered in biax and a layer of 4oz. Will post pics of the partialy faired boat once I download them...

Hope you all think it's coming along fine.

Anflyer

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:48 pm
by ks8
Looking good!

And it looks like you, the sander, and that shop vac have been busy. :lol:

I hope mine is finished this summer. Its rewarding to see them turn into boats, even when looking at someone else's work.

What sort of console you planning, if? I like what EvilD did with the T-top. Similar plans?

For those of us stuck on dialup connections, 600 or 700 pixel wide photos load alot faster... these gave me time to make some toast. :lol: But they look great!

ks

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:55 am
by FLYonWALL9
Goodlooking work man! Now all the fun stuff starts after you are done fairing. Looks like she will be a strong boat.

I didn't even have to look where you are from, just looking at the yards in your hood and yours I knew it was South Florida. Like the Christmas Palm and looks like a nice place! Sure would love to get a job down that way I have South Florida in my blood, I just need to move my blood from South Alabama 800 miles farther!

Keep up the good work man!

Sandman

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:40 am
by Troutlet
Looking really Good AnFlyer! The boat is taking shape. I'm sanding my hull too, I feel for you. :lol:

OD16

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:25 am
by cottontop
You are getting close now. Boat looks outstanding. Bet if your like me, you wish you could be out there all the time. cottontop 8)

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:11 am
by anflyer
ks8 wrote:Looking good!

And it looks like you, the sander, and that shop vac have been busy. :lol:

I hope mine is finished this summer. Its rewarding to see them turn into boats, even when looking at someone else's work.

What sort of console you planning, if? I like what EvilD did with the T-top. Similar plans?

For those of us stuck on dialup connections, 600 or 700 pixel wide photos load alot faster... these gave me time to make some toast. :lol: But they look great!

ks

KS, this is the console I made. It is a little larger than the one on the plans. I'm not sure if I am going to add the T-top or just go with a bimini top. I like to fish in the Everglades / Flamingo area in S. Florida and some of those places have heavy mangrove growth that will be difficult to go through with the T-top. I definately like the look of EvilD's though.

The pictures are 800x600, I will try to make them smaller.
Anflyer

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:14 am
by anflyer
FLYonWALL9 wrote:Goodlooking work man! Now all the fun stuff starts after you are done fairing. Looks like she will be a strong boat.

I didn't even have to look where you are from, just looking at the yards in your hood and yours I knew it was South Florida. Like the Christmas Palm and looks like a nice place! Sure would love to get a job down that way I have South Florida in my blood, I just need to move my blood from South Alabama 800 miles farther!

Keep up the good work man!
Yeah you can't beat the winter weather in S. Florida. Hopefully I can finish the fairing this weekend :help: and get ready for the primer (System 3)

Re: Sandman

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:16 am
by anflyer
Troutlet wrote:Looking really Good AnFlyer! The boat is taking shape. I'm sanding my hull too, I feel for you. :lol:
You are getting close now. Boat looks outstanding. Bet if your like me, you wish you could be out there all the time. cottontop

Thanks, Toutlet and Cottontop. All I can say is that your boats and progress have helped me along in my building ~^

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:25 am
by ks8
Looks like it will also make a good size comfortable seat, or is that a bait well? Have fun rounding off the corners. :)

No problem with the size of the photos. I don't now how many are still on dialup, but I can live with it myself. But if it helps, the 600-700 do load much faster on the slow links.

Now let's see the other side of the console. Have you laid out instruments yet?

Shaping up nice!

ks

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:13 am
by anflyer
ks8 wrote:Looks like it will also make a good size comfortable seat, or is that a bait well? Have fun rounding off the corners. :)

No problem with the size of the photos. I don't now how many are still on dialup, but I can live with it myself. But if it helps, the 600-700 do load much faster on the slow links.

Now let's see the other side of the console. Have you laid out instruments yet?

Shaping up nice!

ks

Actually the corners are already rounded (just used a round over bit with a router). I wish the sanding were this easy :roll:

I still do not have the instruments laid out, the front seat is for a livewell (should be about a 14 - 15 gallon).

Here is a picture of the side....

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:55 am
by FLYonWALL9
I see you have the console glued and screwed. Not trying to tell you how to do anything but thats where I stopped on mine. BIG mistake. be sure you tape the outside edges also. Even though mine is solid as a rock those edges still cracked under the paint. For a temp fix I just wiped 5200 over the cracks and painted over that. Looks like butt crack but I didn't want to spend too much time on my console if I were going to rebuild it in a few months.

Just a tip but I'm sure you were going to glass the edges...... :roll:

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:06 pm
by anflyer
FLYonWALL9 wrote:I see you have the console glued and screwed. Not trying to tell you how to do anything but thats where I stopped on mine. BIG mistake. be sure you tape the outside edges also. Even though mine is solid as a rock those edges still cracked under the paint. For a temp fix I just wiped 5200 over the cracks and painted over that. Looks like butt crack but I didn't want to spend too much time on my console if I were going to rebuild it in a few months.

Just a tip but I'm sure you were going to glass the edges...... :roll:
Thanks, the console has tape on all of the corners / joints and will be covered in 6oz. cloth. The screws are removed, they were just there while the epoxy dried...

Anflyer

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:03 pm
by ks8
I asked about the rounded corners, because I've hit corners on a boat before, and I got a nasty bloody gash from a *finished corner*. :(

If you like the edges as is, smack or scrape 'em with a body part to test 'em. imho, at least those forward top corners of the bait well might be rounded a bit more... if not that edge also... but she's looking good. :)

Bruises hurt, but I prefer them to a bloody mess on someone else's boat (it was embarassing in a way).

ks

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:19 pm
by anflyer
ks8 wrote:I asked about the rounded corners, because I've hit corners on a boat before, and I got a nasty bloody gash from a *finished corner*. :(

If you like the edges as is, smack or scrape 'em with a body part to test 'em. imho, at least those forward top corners of the bait well might be rounded a bit more... if not that edge also... but she's looking good. :)

Bruises hurt, but I prefer them to a bloody mess on someone else's boat (it was embarassing in a way).

ks

KS, that picture is when the console was just glued. At that point I still had not rounded or sanded the console. I will try to post pics of the consloe the way it came out post rounding / sanding.

anflyer

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:58 pm
by DrBones
Great job! I like those gunwales. :P ....build...er...sand on dude!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:27 pm
by ks8
At that point I still had not rounded or sanded the console.
Good to hear. Else, I was going to suggest you paint it and the deck red! :lol: :lol: :lol: :help:

Sincerely,
ks

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:28 am
by attownsend
anflyer wrote:
ks8 wrote:I asked about the rounded corners, because I've hit corners on a boat before, and I got a nasty bloody gash from a *finished corner*. :(

ks

Oh my God,! you really did do this my man!I'm inpressed.Acually I'm spechless.That has got to be the most excellent Boat around.You just brought tears to my eyes.Build on dude.Build on.Evild

KS, that picture is when the console was just glued. At that point I still had not rounded or sanded the console. I will try to post pics of the consloe the way it came out post rounding / sanding.

anflyer

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:35 am
by anflyer
DrBones wrote:Great job! I like those gunwales. :P ....build...er...sand on dude!
Thanks Doc, I actually made the gunwales wider after speaking to Evild. He had mentioned that he wished he had made them wider (thanks Evild :D )

Doc, when is the splash date??

anflyer

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:40 am
by anflyer
ks8 wrote:
At that point I still had not rounded or sanded the console.
Good to hear. Else, I was going to suggest you paint it and the deck red! :lol: :lol: :lol: :help:

Sincerely,
ks
RED, actualy good idea it will cover up all of the blood stains.....fish blood that is.. :wink:

The actual hull color is going to be ICE BLUE if I ever figure out the right mix of the S3 paints (orcas white & shaw blue).

The interior will e just white.

anflyer

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:42 am
by anflyer
[/quote]Oh my God,! you really did do this my man!I'm inpressed.Acually I'm spechless.That has got to be the most excellent Boat around.You just brought tears to my eyes.Build on dude.Build on.Evild
[/quote]

Thanks EvilD, there is no way as a first time builder I could have done it without this forum ~^ [/quote]

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:00 am
by ks8
The actual hull color is going to be ICE BLUE if I ever figure out the right mix of the S3 paints (orcas white & shaw blue).
If you get a small test batch right with relatively small measured amounts, it may make it easier to duplicate the ratios years down the road with fresh batches since you'll have the ratios documented (but that's no guarantee). A 4 ounce batch is cheaper to experiment with. :lol:

ks

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:28 am
by anflyer
ks8 wrote:
If you get a small test batch right with relatively small measured amounts, it may make it easier to duplicate the ratios years down the road with fresh batches since you'll have the ratios documented (but that's no guarantee). A 4 ounce batch is cheaper to experiment with. :lol:

ks

I was thinking of calling System 3 and asking if they already have the right ratio....

anflyer

gunwhales

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:42 am
by Troutlet
Thanks Doc, I actually made the gunwales wider after speaking to Evild. He had mentioned that he wished he had made them wider (thanks Evild Very Happy )
So how wide did you go with them? They do look great BTW.

Re: gunwhales

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:28 pm
by anflyer
Troutlet wrote:
Thanks Doc, I actually made the gunwales wider after speaking to Evild. He had mentioned that he wished he had made them wider (thanks Evild Very Happy )
So how wide did you go with them? They do look great BTW.

Troutlet, I believe they are 7" or 71/2" I can't really remember. I will measure when I get home :D

The good thing is that they don't take up any interior space. If you stand all the way to the end of the sole the gunwale is just up against your upper knee...

Here are some pics of the gunwales before the fiberglass and fairing:

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:53 pm
by Mike Adams
That's beautiful work! Well done. Narrow gunwales like that are what I am building on my FL14.

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:38 am
by attownsend
anflyer wrote:
Oh my God,! you really did do this my man!I'm inpressed.Acually I'm spechless.That has got to be the most excellent Boat around.You just brought tears to my eyes.Build on dude.Build on.Evild
[/quote]

Thanks EvilD, there is no way as a first time builder I could have done it without this forum ~^ [/quote][/quote]

That's what we're here for when you need us.!!! :D

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:47 am
by STEW
She does look sweet. Just a quick opinion...an off white for the interior is alot more friendly to the eyes on those sunny offshore days.

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:10 am
by Steve_MA
I like those gunwhales too.....I have a mind to build an OD one day and I want to have gunwales as well, but I dont really know how to build them. How are they supported? I have seen little "triangles" or similar supports underneath, but I want something more -finished- looking I think. I guess you could also build a whole shelf and support structure along the sides although I that might cut into the cockpit room a bit.

How did you build yours? I didnt see any supports.

Do you have a gallery somewhere?

Good work.....

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:53 am
by anflyer
Steve_MA wrote:I like those gunwhales too.....I have a mind to build an OD one day and I want to have gunwales as well, but I dont really know how to build them. How are they supported? I have seen little "triangles" or similar supports underneath, but I want something more -finished- looking I think. I guess you could also build a whole shelf and support structure along the sides although I that might cut into the cockpit room a bit.

How did you build yours? I didnt see any supports.

Do you have a gallery somewhere?

Good work.....

Steve, thanks fo the coments. The gunwhales were actual not very difficult to build. The gunwhales are 7 1/2" wide (6 3/4" gunwhale + 3/4" inwhale).

I started at the bow with one piece of plywood that was layed from port to stern. I then traced the outside profile of the bow onto the plywood and cut it with a jig saw and screwed it to the rub rail while I cut the rest of the gunwhales.

I then worked in 4' increments (this seemed to be the easiest to handle and made the best use of the sheet of plywood) back from the bow. I would cut the 4' piece of plywood about 9 - 10" wide then lay it up on the rubrail. The outside just follows the line of the rubrail, I would mark it then cut it on the bandsaw or jigsaw. Once I had the outside profile I would use a caliper / divider with a pencil on it (set at 6 3/4") to follow the profile.

After I had both sides cut, the gluing would begin. Here is a picture showing how to get both sides level (this is the picture that is posted in GPratt's gallery, this is how I did it and it worked great, thanks Gpratt) while gluing the gunwhales on.

I then added the "Inwhales" (select pine 4x12 bought at home depot, it is great since it has no knots) which are glued directly to the gunwhales.

As is (after fiberglassing with 9oz cloth) the gunwhales are incredibly strong. I weigh 230 and am able to stand on the gunwhales without any flexing. I still am going to add some stiffeners which also act as rod holers underneath (2 on each side) for some added insurance.

I hope I was able to expalain. Please let me know if you need some clarification.

anflyer

P.S. - the hull is now half way faired, hopefully some more fairing and sanding this weekend and I should be ready for primer. :lol:

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:50 pm
by Steve_MA
Let me see if I understand.....not sure I do :doh:
And then you put the cloth on top and bottom surfaces? Probably just the top otherwise you cant get around the edges.

Is this right?

Or maybe this is closer.
I am only partially confident I am calling things by their right names (inwhale and gunwhale :doh: ) so thats why I might have labelled it wrong.

Even if this isnt what you did, seems like it would work!

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:19 pm
by anflyer
Hope this helps. The 2 supports / rod holders will be added later ( I believe Dr. Bones or EvilD posted a picture once of how they had made the bracket. If i find it I will post.

anflyer

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:45 pm
by Steve_MA
really! Shows you what I know.. I would be afraid that wasnt solid enough; you said you can stand on that :!:
I probably overbuild everything.....

It looks really nice. I cant wait to build my OD.

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:56 pm
by markhoutx
Steve and Anf,

What program are you using to do those drawings?

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:45 pm
by anflyer
Steve_MA wrote:really! Shows you what I know.. I would be afraid that wasnt solid enough; you said you can stand on that :!:
I probably overbuild everything.....

It looks really nice. I cant wait to build my OD.
Steve, the strenghth comes from everything being tied together. When i still hadn't installed the inwhales the gunwhales were very flimsy. Once the inwhales were installed it all came together. Also look at the casting platform and the rear seats, they are resting on these and it gives it even more strength from flexing down once you apply weight.

anflyer

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:46 pm
by anflyer
markhoutx wrote:Steve and Anf,

What program are you using to do those drawings?
markhoutx, I just copied steves image to photo shop and added.

anflyer

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 pm
by Steve_MA
I just used MS PowerPoint. But there is an open source program that seems to work pretty well with the MS Office formats. Its called OpenOffice.
If you google it or try openoffice.org you can probably find it. It has a drawing program that works like powerpoint.

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:11 pm
by Mike Adams
anflyer wrote:Hope this helps. The 2 supports / rod holders will be added later ( I believe Dr. Bones or EvilD posted a picture once of how they had made the bracket. If i find it I will post.

anflyer
That's exactly how I am currently building the gunwales on my FL14!

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:55 pm
by FLYonWALL9
Some very nice work man! You are going to have one strong fine boat when your finished and I can tell your very proud of her. I wish I had finished mine half as clean as yours on the inside. This winter I may do some tinkering.

FIRST RATE!

Oh and a friend of mine has the c olor your looking for painted on his little wooden production boat. Very pretty! He went with a lighter inside color but it was called cucumber they both play off one another very well.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:34 am
by anflyer
FLYonWALL9 wrote:Some very nice work man! You are going to have one strong fine boat when your finished and I can tell your very proud of her. I wish I had finished mine half as clean as yours on the inside. This winter I may do some tinkering.

FIRST RATE!

Oh and a friend of mine has the c olor your looking for painted on his little wooden production boat. Very pretty! He went with a lighter inside color but it was called cucumber they both play off one another very well.

Thanks FOW, do you know if your friend used System 3 paints. and if so what mix ratios did he use.
anflyer

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:38 am
by FLYonWALL9
No sorry I know he used BLP paint which is made here in my town. Great paint and they can match anything. But I know none of this is of any help.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:53 am
by anflyer
FLYonWALL9 wrote:No sorry I know he used BLP paint which is made here in my town. Great paint and they can match anything. But I know none of this is of any help.
If you have any picture it would be great that.
thanks,
anflyer

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:00 pm
by FLYonWALL9
Picture of my buddies boat? I tried to take one of the inside but the color looks white. Its far from white but sure looks like it in pictures. Its a very light green but if you put it next to blue it will have a blue hue to it. Really cool color. Unless you are set on using System 3, many paint makers can match anything. If you cant come up with something I can try and be a middle man or hook you up with BLP MOBILE PAINTS.

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:08 pm
by anflyer
FLYonWALL9 wrote:Picture of my buddies boat? I tried to take one of the inside but the color looks white. Its far from white but sure looks like it in pictures. Its a very light green but if you put it next to blue it will have a blue hue to it. Really cool color. Unless you are set on using System 3, many paint makers can match anything. If you cant come up with something I can try and be a middle man or hook you up with BLP MOBILE PAINTS.
\n
I already have the S3 primer, so i'm just going to stick with the complete system.

Thanks,
Adrian

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:39 am
by anflyer
It's been a while but the outside of the hull is finally faired and painted. And it only took 113 years (that's what it felt like). The paint job came out an 8 out of 10 (I am happy but not extremely happy). I sprayed the primer (S3) and it came out great using that tecnique, the paint (S3) didn't spray very well it would have run's even when spraying a light coat (thinned at the recomended maximum of 10%) so I had to tip in several locations and the last coat with crossliner seemed to be the most difficult to spray.

My next boat I will roll and tip if I use the S3 paints unless somebody can show me how to do it right.

The bottom of the hull is Graphite / Epoxy and the sides are Orcas White. I am definately going to have to tone down the inside as the orcas white is blinding in the sun........

I will be flipping it today and will finish the interior (install console and fiberglass floor) hopefully by the next 2 weeks.

Launch day is now June :D/ if every thing goes well.

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:47 am
by anflyer
The hull was flipped on Saturday. Today I wil begin sanding and finishing the interior.
anflyer

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:58 pm
by Iowa Boy Greg
Hey,

That xmas tree holder in the foreground would make a good seat post mount :D

Great work!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:35 am
by anflyer
Iowa Boy Greg wrote:Hey,

That xmas tree holder in the foreground would make a good seat post mount :D

Great work!
Great idea i hadn't thought of that. And since it is plastic it will be great for saltwater use :lol:

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:37 am
by anflyer
Today my goal is to mount the center console and begin prep for laying the fiberglass on the sole.

Anflyer

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:18 am
by anflyer
Last night I sanded part of the interior and installed the console. Today I will sand some more and coat the ply with epoxy so I can fiberglass the sole this weekend.
anflyer

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:48 am
by fishingdan
Looking good. Won't be long now...press on.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:15 am
by Dane_Ger
Very nice . . . that boat has a great 'salty' look to it!

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:33 am
by anflyer
Dane_Ger wrote:Very nice . . . that boat has a great 'salty' look to it!
It will hopefully see alot of salt very soon. It will be used about 90% in saltwater (everglades - flamingo).

thanks,