Panga 20 West Central Florida

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Today I finished the cross gunwale braces, filled and tabbed the keel seam, and removed ALMOST ALL the screws :D :D... so far so good!

Dynamo..tabbing inside is a great way to keep the outside seams smooth. I don't think I could take all the bending and crawling that it requires though :lol: :lol: ... and of course using the 'non-split method' I needed LOTS of tabs.
I'm going to make mine "smooth" with the belt sander (being carefull not to cut the tabs themselves of course)...then I'll be ready to biax the seams.

Tomorrow's probably going to be a Tyvex and respirator day!

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Only a small amount of work today...filled the last few gaps..tabbed the last of the keel seam at the bow..and sanded the chine tabs smooth on the starboard side...almost ready to biax all seams ...and only 4 screws left!!!... It really is possible to bend the 3/8" meranti to the Panga 20's camber requirements :wink: ..using kerfs.

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Biaxed the full length of both chine seams today.

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

A BIG day...ALL screws removed and no firewood :D :D !!

Completed smoothing and biaxing the keel seam...next, a couple of short seams on the transom and then on to the veil!

As I begin to contemplate the fairing I must say that the 1 1/2 gal Quickfair kit looks mighty small sitting next to the hull. I know..."put it on thin"...but still 8O

UncleRalph
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by UncleRalph »

JASmine wrote:As I begin to contemplate the fairing I must say that the 1 1/2 gal Quickfair kit looks mighty small sitting next to the hull. I know..."put it on thin"...but still 8O
The trick, I think (and after 4 boats I'm still not sure I know the right way), is to get the fairing compound in the "right" places, i.e. the low spots. I have found that putting it on with something as wide as possible helps - like a 12" to 18" wide semi-flexible spreader. Something that can conform to the hull shape, but not be so small or flexible that it scrapes away the fairing compound from the low spots. All that being said, I still have probably seen hundreds of dollars of fairing compound go up in dust as I sand it away. :?

Ralph

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

JASmine wrote:A BIG day...ALL screws removed and no firewood :D :D !!
BRAVO!! Keep up the good work!
Last edited by Dane_Ger on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building the FL14

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Started by cleaning up the work area....sanding dust everywhere.
Did a couple of seams on the transom, prepared the wide cloth for the bottom application, and started the laminations for the rubrail. Ordered the S3 primer (white). I think I 'm going to use a very very pale blue for the hull color so the white primer shouldn't effect it from underneath...(I know it wouldn't anyway with enough topcoats :))...but what the heck, everybody uses gray.
Taking a vacation day tomorrow :lol: ...life long friends visiting from up north.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Ordered the S3 primer (white).
Ah... the joys of prepping for primer... :)

JASmine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JASmine »

Layed the starboard veil today..would clearly be easier with two people but you work with what you have......
It's not too bad a job but you do have to be quick about everything. I used the semi-wet on wet method..layed a layer over already coated wood and let it dry to tackfree (actually mine was almost tackfree..it's better to wait :))..then layed the already cut cloth, then wetted the cloth (which took multiple batches of resin..this is where you have to work fast), then rolled everything smooth, then put the plastic sheeting on, then rolled and squegeed everything..then rested!!

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

Very nice . . . already ordering primer . . . woohoo!

I looked at your gallery this morning . . . She is looking super! Keep up the great work, JAS!!
Last edited by Dane_Ger on Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building the FL14