C17 (Classic 17) in London

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BillTwo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

C17: The boat-shaped hedgehog

Post by BillTwo »

WobblyLegs wrote:Forming the hull.

You can see here the the ends of the stringers don't meet the back of the motorwell sides - that's 'cos I measured thinking the transom was four layers thick there, not two!

Reminder to self: Add a couple of layers of 9mm ply to the end of the stringers after roll-over!!!

Wobbly.
Wobbly,

I took this quote from you last gallery posting showing the Stern end of your Hull without the Transom. I take it that you're going to wait until you flip the Hull before making the correction to your Stringers? If this is the case, are you concerned about mis-aligning the shape of the Hull when flipped without the Transon epoxied with the rest of the Hull?

Your "Joining Board" technique seems to be ideal for the environment that you're working in. Even though I will be building (I hope) in my Garage, I am considering using the "Joining Board" method. My question is, with all those screws in the board, how time consuming is it to putty-in all those screw holes and approximately how far into the splice do these screws penetrate?

Wobbly, you're an inspiration for me. I can't wait to start on my OB17 (custom) boat. I'm still waiting on my Plywood delivery - should be delivered within the week.

Keep pumping-out those pictures with text. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards,

BillTwo :-k

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C17: The boat-shaped hedgehog

Post by WobblyLegs »

BillTwo wrote:I take it that you're going to wait until you flip the Hull before making the correction to your Stringers? If this is the case, are you concerned about mis-aligning the shape of the Hull when flipped without the Transon epoxied with the rest of the Hull?
Hi again BillTwo,

I am going to join the transom to the hull before roll-over, but the frames, motorwell sides, and stringers aren't joined at this stage. They all come out after the boat has been flipped (is it called a boat at this stage?) so that the inside of the hull can be glassed.

Thats when I'll make the correction to the stringers, before putting them back into the glassed hull.

Keep well,

Wobb.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Getting closer to glass!

Well, the past couple of weeks, I've been joining the bottom and lower-side panels together.

Yesterday I sanded the chines down to a radius in preparation for laying the bi-axial tape (next weekend).

It's still looking good, but to be honest, I'm kinda dreading next weekend.

BillTwo, I don't have an answer about filling screw holes yet, as I haven't done it (leaving it till after rollover). I'm probably going to drip pure epoxy into them, and use a little nail to work the epoxy in to the hole.

As to the depth of the screws: the joining board is 9mm ply, and the panels are 6mm ply. The screws are 16mm, but I haven't counter-sunk the joining board. So, when I screw the boards to the panels, I do it to just a but more that finger-tight (on the screwdriver), and the points of the screws end up just below the outer surface of the panels. Also, holes were drilled into the joining board, but not into the panels - I push-twisted the screws in there.

So, here's looking forward to a fun weekend in 5 days time!!!

Wobbly.
Last edited by WobblyLegs on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Yoda »

That is really looking good, Wob......... Yessireee!

BillTwo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Getting Closer to Glass

Post by BillTwo »

WobblyLegs wrote:Getting closer to glass!

Well, the past couple of weeks, I've been joining the bottom and lower-side panels together.

Yesterday I sanded the chines down to a radius in preparation for laying the bi-axial tape (next weekend).

Wobbly.
Wobbly,

I don't remember if I asked you this before - did you pre-coat your plywood prior to assembly of the Hull? If you did, did you have any problem bending any of the panels for the stitching and forming of the Hull?

I will be getting my Pre-Cut Plywood delivered hopefully this week. Once I do receive it, I will be applying those recommendation and references such as those from your threads and pictures to my building process.

Continue the good work. =D>

Regards,

BillTwo :-k

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Getting Closer to Glass

Post by WobblyLegs »

BillTwo wrote:I don't remember if I asked you this before - did you pre-coat your plywood prior to assembly of the Hull?
Hi BillTwo,

No, I haven't pre-coated anything. I wouldn't think that it would be a good idea, as it would all have to be sanded for the glass/epoxy to grip to.

This way, I'll coat the wood, allow it to "soak" for a bit, then lay the glass. I think that starting, say, at the stern with the coating, by the time I get to the bow, I'll be ready to start laying glass from the stern.

Regards,

Wobbly.

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

You are one clean builder! This boat is going to be beauty to behold if you keep this quality throughout.

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Okay, so things didn't really go to schedule.

I had no idea how difficult it would be to get the epoxy to wet the glass out. I think maybe if I got a "wetting-out" roller for doing the fabric it might be easier than using a squeegee.

Anyway, I managed to prepare the boat on Saturday - this involved sanding all the joins and lumps of mixture used for filling the cable tie holes etc. Not very pleasant as it hit 36 degrees C (97F) in the garden. Same on Sunday.

Sunday I measured and cut the fabric for the bottom. I also did a few tests and practice fibreglass laminations with the West slow-cure resin/hardener mix that I hadn't used up to now. Just as well, as in spite of using the measuring pumps I found that due to the heat, the hardener becomes so thin that it flows back into the pump! So the method now involves doing a little "primer" squirt from each container into little tubs, then doing the mixing measurements. Having sorted that out, I have to admit that it as real easy to get the right mixture with the pumps.

The other really useful tool that I've discovered is this little cutter:

I had to get my own from the local sewing shop (Mrs Wobbly wouldn't let me use hers) - it's a fabric cutter that I used to cut the glass fabric to fit the hull. All I did was lay the sheets on the hull and walk around it pushing this along the glass - easy, accurate cut. It does need good pressure though!

Monday morning things got delayed (again, weather, a thunderstorm that lasted until about 11). I was only able to start work at about 2 when my work area had dried out enough. I suppose it had to rain, as it was the start of the Wimbledon tennis tournament (and it always rains during Wimbledon - and it's just up the road from me!

Oh well.

I managed to get the keel laminations done Monday afternoon, followed by the chine laminations done on Tuesday. I also managed to get one layer of tape on the transom, but had to stop there as my last pair of gloves tore. I need to make sure that I don't run out again!

I have to say, I really don't like working with large amounts of epoxy. It's easy enough to spread on a horizontal surface, but on vertical surfaces? Grrr. As you can see from my transom pic (below), it drips all over the place. And sticks to everything. And once it gets on the gloves and squeegee everthing gets all slippery and slimy. And my hands still feel sticky now, even though I only got a little bit of epoxy on them.

Well, that's about it for now. I now have to sand all those edges before proceeding with the layer of fabric. I'm not going to assume that I will be able to do it all this coming weekend (considering I had thought I could have done it all by now!!). At the very least, I hope to get it all sanded and ready.
kiwi wrote:You are one clean builder!

Tony
Tony, you might not think so anymore after seeing this:

Image.

That's it for now.

Keep building guys... (BOD's)

Wobbly.
Last edited by WobblyLegs on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA »

Hey, it still looks pretty clean. Working with fiberglass/epoxy is messy business. I am on my third box of 100 pr. gloves and still not done with my FL14. It might be late now, but one thing I was thinking of doing next time I build is masking off areas where you dont want epoxy. This might help eliminate the amount of runs and splotches you have to sand off.

It must be a pain having to dodge the weather there...hats off to you! Looks good.

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

Wobbly, the boat is looking great.

One suggestion....pump epoxy/hardener into measuring cups. The pumps get less accurate over time (also with differences in temps) and with a 5 to 1 ratio, there is less room for error.

Keep up the great work!