Yet another FL14 in progress.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

HBB, here's some sound advise on "Roll and Tip"
Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dukydo wrote:
I understand rolling paint, but what is roll and tip?

Duke

Evan Gatehouse answers the question in this thread... http://forums.bateau2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8179

Here's another site with some good info http://www.sailingworld.com/article.jsp ... 7&exclude=
I felt I needed a break after changing my first sanding disc... Many discs later, I realize patience soon gives way to perseverence, and perseverence eventually leads to addiction. I don't know what I'm going to do when she's launched. My evenings and weekends will be dreadfully long. Summer is a taking a while to arrive here in BC, so who knows? V12 looks good :?:
Laurence
Be realistic.... expect miracles !!!
NC

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by HokieBoatbuilder »

You should be proud, that canoe of yours is really nice. The V12 is a gorgeous boat. I wanted to build it but found it a little intimidating for a first boat. Looking at her shape though, I bet she really glides through the water. I've also thought the R13 with the lightweight ply would be a great boat. You can't beat it at 65 pounds.
-Taylor

FL14

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

Thanks for the comments on my canoe.

R13's good, FL14's good, but I want the option to sail. prams are too small, and I would like to cartop, so I guess V12 it's going to be. V12 is only 30lb heavier than the lightweight R13, and 10lb lighter than the heavy version... would you be happy in the deep blue in a boat made of 4mm ply :?:
Laurence
NC

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I know that the glass carries the bulk of the forces for these boats, but I have taken a few classes on wood mechanics and have a lot of faith in the principals behind these designs. I was talking to one of my professors who specializes in wood deterioration and wood mechanics, and he basically said that he is really sold on stitch and glue boats. He also says that if they are properly maintained they should have tremendous longevity. He tends to be very cautious when it comes to protecting wood from the elements, so he definitely convinced me.

My only experience in the ocean was sailfishing in Florida, and I felt like I was holding on for dear life in what was probably a 20' boat. My little brother was sick the whole time, it was awful. I would probably want a big boat for the ocean, but then again I don't have any experience. I don't really know anything about boating, and I've never been sailing, I just like to build stuff :D
-Taylor

FL14

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Well, my patience has finally come to an end. I primed Sunday but the primer passed the cure test specified by s3 and today and I painted the inside with S3 vashon gray :? It looks fantastic, best paint I've ever used. I know I was supposed to wait a week, but I just couldn't help myself. I'm going to continue my poor judgement and paint the outside tomorrow. I did 5 coats inside, I will probably do the same outside. I cannot contain my excitement. I will post pics of my completed boat tomorrow, I'll then go to the nearest bar and celebrate. I jumped into this thing head first, my friends, and parents thought I was crazy, but I can't wait to see what people say when they see my completed FL14.
-Taylor

FL14

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

Allright Taylor! Way to go! . . . can't wait to see your boat in paint!! :lol:
Building the FL14

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My boat is done

Well, I finished today. It took me 3 months. Thanks to everyone for their help. My workshop is cramped, but I'll post some better pictures when I launch her June 25th.

-Taylor

FL14

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger »

Very nice job, Taylor!! You should be very proud!

Can't wait to see her wet!!
Building the FL14

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly »

Well done HBB,

She really looks good. =D>

Pity you have to wait so long to get her in the water. What you going to do with your time while you wait :?:
Laurence
NC

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks guys. I am waiting for transport. I think I will be fine with the wait though. I realized that I built this thing just to build it. At the same time, it will be nice to go fishing.
-Taylor

FL14