Yet another FL14 in progress.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo »

The boat looks great and I wish I was that far along. It appears your building it in the basement. Will you be able to get her out?

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by HokieBoatbuilder »

Thanks for the compliment. I actually built it in my garage. The garage is pretty small, but it is not a problem to get it out of there, the door is wide. I felt like my boat took forever cause I spent 3 months on it, and two of those were basically spent sanding. It definitely takes as long as you want it to. I could have sanded for another month easy if I wanted to. I was ready to be done though.
-Taylor

FL14

Dukydo
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dukydo »

Again I say good looking Skiff. Does she have a name?

Duke

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

Taylor,

I'm away from home on business right now, but decided to check out the posts I may have missed - I'm glad I did, as your boat looks REALLY nice! I especially like the stainless steel rod holders. Congratulations! =D>
Only three months to build? I have been building my FL14 for four months and I'm still not finished! Hopefully not long now, though, and if you are not planning to launch until 25 June I will not be far behind! I look forward to seeing your launch pics. Again, well done!
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks Mike. The rodholder is one of my favorite things too. I ordered one previously that was white, but when it got here I realized it was a piece of junk, so I forked out the extra money for a better one. I think it was well worth it.

Duke, I'm naming her Cathlene after my grandmother who passed away recently. I haven't told my dad yet, it is kind of a suprise. I ordered lettering from this place:http://www.boat-lettering.com/ It is supposed to come soon, but I will wait till the paint cures to put it on there.

My uncle emailed me yesterday and said that he has a motor for me, so I am ready to go once I register with the state.
-Taylor

FL14

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I picked up my 1969 4 hp Johnson motor. I need advice on mounting it. I don't want to scratch the transom, so I would like to put some type of padding between the boat and motor. Any suggestions? I don't like what I've tried so far. I'd like dense rubber that I could cut to fit but I don't know where to find it.
-Taylor

FL14

Mike Adams
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mike Adams »

HokieBoatbuilder wrote:I picked up my 1969 4 hp Johnson motor. I need advice on mounting it. I don't want to scratch the transom, so I would like to put some type of padding between the boat and motor. Any suggestions? I don't like what I've tried so far. I'd like dense rubber that I could cut to fit but I don't know where to find it.
You could try a shoe repair store to see if they have some thick rubber soles.
FL14 "Lake Dreamer" built.

Deltaskipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Deltaskipper »

HokieBoatbuilder wrote:I picked up my 1969 4 hp Johnson motor. I need advice on mounting it. I don't want to scratch the transom, so I would like to put some type of padding between the boat and motor. Any suggestions? I don't like what I've tried so far. I'd like dense rubber that I could cut to fit but I don't know where to find it.
Cabella's has an Outboard motor mount pad for what you are trying to do.
http://www.cabelas.com/

8)

HokieBoatbuilder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I like the one from Cabela's but it is too wide to fit in the slot I cut for the motor. I don't want to pay $30 if I would still have to cut it down. Any other suggestions? Again, I'm looking for a way to protect my transom from motor scratches and dings.
-Taylor

FL14

Deltaskipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Deltaskipper »

I did a Yahoo search on sheet rubber and came up with a bunch of industrial suppliers. They also listed hard and soft neoprene which may be what you're after. Their prices for minimum quantities were more than you want to pay. You might have some luck finding a local industrial supplier that may cut you a deal on their odd lot leftovers. They may even give you a sample that would be enough for what you want to do. I would think a square foot would be enough.
Have you found any liquid rubber, or similar material, that you could coat the motors clmping areas with instead of the hull?
I like your idea because I have thought of the same thing too. It also works as a sound damper. 8)