Painted and Completed V12 - with Outboard performance report

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Barney
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barney »

Very cute outboard, Rich :lol:

geof
New Poster
New Poster

Very nice!!

Post by geof »

I've been to your web sight and will be feeding off of it through out my project. Really very impressive craftsmanship. And thank you for the tip on building a cardboard model first. Geof Carpenter

Rich_L
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich_L »

Here's how the V12 performed with the 5 1/2 horsepower outboard - keep in mind that this 1957 vintage engine weighs 57 pounds:

With only me in the boat (160 pounds), the combination of power, and weight concentrated at the stern, resulted in a greatly elevated bow, and noisey and labored power delivery (cavitation perhaps?) at hull speed (~ 4.4 knots).

But when I added two adult passengers (1 man & 1 wowan), the V12 leveled out and moved along beautifully at hull speed.

So this is a situation, like with a canoe, where you almost need someone up front. Either that, or I'll need to carry a beverage service for six when I go out alone. Oh oh! 8)

Rich
When can we go fishing?

davekf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by davekf »

Rich_L... I know this post was a while back, but do you remember tinting your S3 topcoat at Sherwin Williams? It was for your v12 I think.
You may note that the breasthook, knees, and rubrail are
different color than the interior. They are Orcas White.
The interior is Orcas White tinted by Sherwin-Williams to
closely match their Dover White. Orcas White is a close
match to Sherwin-Williams' Extra White base paint, used
for the less deep shades on any of their color strips. The
deeper shades on any of their color strips require their
other, opaque base - so it's uncertain if Orcas White could
be used to match them. The amount of tinting was a lot less
than the 2-3 oz. that S3 technical support suggested should
be the limit added.

Rich
In the post, you said that System 3 tech support said you could use up to 2 -3 oz. of tint max. Is that per gal. or quart :?:

I have about a quart that I want to tint for my FL14. I'm thinking that the Orcas white that I bought will just have too much glare on the inside of the boat.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

-Dave :D

Rich_L
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rich_L »

Dave:

It was per gallon. I didn't talk to S3 first hand. The S3 comment was reported by another builder who posted it in the forum prior to my boat's paint job.

I pretty much scoured the forum on painting issues (or all issues for that matter) as I built my boat. Looks like you're doing the same if you got to my posts from three years ago.

I can report that my paint job is holding up great, including the hull coats where I had Sherwin-Williams tint Orcas White into a light blue. The only places where I've done any touchup is a very few places where impacts have caused chips in the paint. But even those small chips reveal not failure of paint adhesion, but instead how hard the paint coats are! I did cross-link all of the top coats.

Good luck on your paint job. I think S3 is a good choice. I'd certainly tint again without hesitation if I built again.
When can we go fishing?

davekf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by davekf »

Thanks for the info :D . I'll be priming the inside within the next week (hopefully), and then on goes the paint.

-Dave :D