Page 1 of 1

ph15 - foam version

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:14 am
by tech_support
More picture from Ken Owens - he is almost finished.

NOTE: the bow shape was changed from the plans.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=259

Re: ph15 - foam version

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:05 pm
by Chalk
Shine wrote:More picture from Ken Owens - he is almost finished.
Now that's funny Ken Owens and almost finished in the same sentence....I have been kidding him about being paid by the hour on this boat for a year now.... :lol:

Looks good K0, can't wait to seem them hatches on her

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:42 pm
by fishingdan
I think I saw an imperfection in the paint. You need to look really hard. It would be easier to see if it weren't for that darn mirror finish. :)

Beautiful work.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:07 pm
by JimW
I second the paint remark. Looks awesome.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:43 pm
by stickystuff
Thanks guys. Been a long road to ho. the bottom paint is Imron 500. I think they call it that. The side is painted with Imron industrial paint. The industrial is about $35. a gallon cheaper than the hull paint. (Bottom) The only thing with the industrial is it has a tendancy to orange peel . You have to be very careful with the air flow. The top deck will also be Imron industrial. white with a slight blue tint. At Lowes I found some non skid called Shark skin or something like that. Very fine. Actually small tiny plastic beads, kind of like microballoons except a little more course. An 8 oz. bottle costs $4.00 and change. One bottle to a gallon of paint. Mix with the paint and roll it on with a very fine knap roller. (1/4") I have to finish my drains for compartments. Sand and clean up some. Then the hull will be painted. (Deck that is.)Next step I have to build some molds for the lids. Since these are self draining compartment tops.I need to make a lid with a lip that lays over a lip that was formed in the compartments. Almost done. Hope to get all painted by this weekend and start rigging. Won't be long now. Heck its only been 14-15 months. :D

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:51 pm
by stickystuff
Jim,
When this boat is done you will see it up in your neck of the woods. The Man I am building it for lives in jacksonville. He told me that when I am finished with it he will leave it here for a few weeks to try it out and show it off. What a guy. :D :D

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:18 am
by JimW
I know right where he'll be using it too I think.

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:31 pm
by stickystuff
He lives on Apache Ave. don't know how close you are to him. He loves the Amelia island area. He especially likes it when the NE winds blow the water up in tot he grass areas and watch the reds bmping the grass knocking the crabs off. I will fish it with him one day.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:27 pm
by FLYonWALL9
Very pretty little boat. I really like the overhang you left on the decks much like a Mitzi I think. Really nice, I think you even talked about it once in one of your other posts about the same subject. Great idea, almost looks like a mold. hmmmmm j/k...

Nice stuff man!

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:29 pm
by stickystuff
New Photos coming soon. Final paint should be this weekend with the exception of the hatches.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:35 am
by tech_support
just posted new pictures from Ken

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:48 pm
by timoub007
Do you know if that is as high as the motor can be jacked up? It seems to me that it will still hang way too low to take full advantage of the awesome shallow water performance of this design.

Maybe the plate was not all the way up and I just couldn't tell in those shots.

It is one fine looking boat. And I love the engine choice.

Tim

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:04 am
by stickystuff
The motor is sitting in the second hole. The jack plate(Bob's) is all the way down. This is one sweet engine. Can't even fire it up until I take it to a dealer and have it programmed. Will be running XP100 synthetic oil, so engine has to be programmed for this oil. Also will be running a 4 blade prop from power tech in Louisiana. Can't wait to get it in the water. still a couple of weeks away. :D :D

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:26 am
by gpratt
Looking good Ken!

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:20 am
by Rick
Hey Ken, you know the difference between a boatbuilder and a large pepperoni pizza?

The pizza can feed a family of four.

(Nice boat!)

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:25 am
by JimW
Ken,

Beautiful job. You are a true craftsman.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:55 pm
by stickystuff
Thanks guys. I try hard. Couple more weeks to go before splash down. Film at 11:00. Someday.

c

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:10 pm
by timoub007
Thanks for the reply Ken. I'd like to see a shot of it jacked all the way up when you get it done. Curious to see what the theoretical running draft of the boat could be.

Tim

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:40 am
by stickystuff
I charged the jack plate up with oil last night and ran it up and down about 20 times to get all the air out of the system. It raises 6". At full height the bottom of the skeg is flush with the bottom of the hull. If the tunnel performs as designed this bad boy should run really skinny. Anxious to see what it does myself.The next thing I have to decide is where to mount the trim button. I installed an OEM Binnacle control for this engine. Kind of dissapointed with it. Not as smooth as the one I have on my boat. My boat has 90 Mariner with QuickSilver binnacle controls. A lot smoother than the Bombardier. Once motor is programmed and running and all linkage is adjusted it may feel better. No shifter seems smooth when engine is not running under power. By the way prop is 4 blade stainless from PowerTech Marine in Louisiana.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:10 pm
by Hunch
Simply beautiful. Great work!

Hunch

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:50 am
by timoub007
I'd still like to see a pic of it fully jacked up. Your description makes it sound like it is going to be too high. I know that you know what you are doing though.

If the tunnel was built per the plans (I have a set of PH15 plans) and the tunnel only gives you 3-4 inches. I'd imagine the lower unit is 12 inches or so tall, and I know that motor throws a 13 inch diameter prop. It seems like the bottom of the skeg can't be in the same plane as the hull running surface. Maybe it can and I just can't picture it. Maybe your plate will provide enough setback to allow it.

On the trim; I'm assuming you are looking for a mounting location for the jack plate trim. If so I recommend rigging it like my flats boat. I'm running a 200 Evinrude and my dealer installed a binnacle for a dual engine setup. The left one. It has two trim switches on it and one is wired to the motor's trim and the other to the jack plate. Really sweet as they are both right at your thumb. It also kept another set of holes from being drilled in the console.

Can't wait for more picks.

Tim

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:02 am
by FLYonWALL9
Duel Binnacle controls? So you have a two lever control box for a single engine, so each lever is turned into a single function lever. One for throttle the other for direction fwd or rev?

I think depending on which I used more I would made that control on the lever. Then just put the switch in the dash but in a place the blends in. By the keyswitch or if the switch is round mount in with your tach/fuel/volt so it flows. I do see your problem, small console thats already pretty full. I'm sure you will find a spot where its easy to use and fits the look you have. How is that brushed aluminum on the eyes? I do like how it looks.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:53 am
by stickystuff
From top of tunnel to top of transom I have 20". Bob,s jack plate is a 6" set back.I set engine on the second hole. Prop is 13" Power Tech 4 blade.All I was saying is that if Jack Plate is fully rised total 6" the bottom of the skeg is flush with the bottom of the main hull, not the bottom of tunnel. If it performs as set up it will be a bad azz little rig. Have not water tested it yet. Prop will be here next week. First have to take it to a dealer and have it programmed on a computer.
The dash is 14Gage Stainless.I have same on my Phantom 16 and have no glare problems at all. When I finish all rigging I am going to take the rig to a weigh scale and see how much t weighs. I am hopeing hull comes in at around 5 to 550 lbs.Will soon find out. I wanted to mount j-plate switch on steering wheel but the stainless wheel won't allow it. I wil find someplace.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:28 pm
by timoub007
No, no, no. :wink:

I guess at midnight last night I did not explain it very well.

I have a single binnacle control but it is 1/2 of a dual set up. If you look at a boat rigged with two Evinrudes it will have two throttles. However, only the left one has trim switches on it, and it has two (one for each engine.) My dealer put this left control on my flats boat so that one button controls the jack plate and the other the tilt & trim. It is a really sweet set up and the only way to go.

I don't have a pic of it, and couldn't find one on the net. My boat is covered right now, so I'll snap a pic next time I've got the cover off. Ken, if you'd like a pic before you see one posted from me shoot me an email.

I guess I misunderstood your statement about the skeg location with respect to the hull. Sounds like it will run in spit.

I'm not sure if I'll ever build the PH 15, but just might. I have to get finished with my GF 16 first. I haven't touched it in over six (6) weeks, since Rita hit our town. I have almost gotten everything she touched back to normal and will get back on the GF.

Tim

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:35 pm
by stickystuff
Gotcha. No problem. Sounds like a pretty neat thing to do. i really don't have much room to play with. What I came up with and may even try is to make a mounting plate out of stainless and install two foot switches. Mount on deck up tight to consol. This way sitting or standing I can run j-plate up or down with just a touch of the switch with my foot. Bass boaters do it all the time. I had them in my bass boat. I have watertight switches and will use them.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:17 pm
by timoub007
Yeah, I've seen those foot switches but don't like them personally. I didn't even like a hot foot in my bass boat. If I felt like I was going too fast to drive with one hand on the wheel, then I just slowed down. And my aluminum bass boat would do an honest 76 mph (GPS.)

I also stand a lot when I drive and would not want to be off balance worrying about foot switches. This is also why I can't/won't use a foot controlled trolling motor.

To each his own, that is why we build our own boats. :D

Keep us posted,
Tim

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:58 pm
by stickystuff
Ordered 4 blade prop today from power tech props in louisiana. Size is 13" pitch by 15. Marine Patrol will be inspecting boat tomorrow night. Be glad when the hatch covers are finished. Thought my sanding was done. NOT! Won't be long now. I keep saying that. I will believe it when its done.

Trim switch.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:02 pm
by stickystuff
Oh yeah. Decided against foot switch. will go with Teleflex Pro Trim, Trim Control switch. Mounts on dash under steering wheel Has an arm like a turn signal on your car. Lots of big bass boats run these. Can get single for jack plate or dual for trim N tilt on one side and J-Plate on other. Cost is $60. to 65.00 depending where you get it.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:37 pm
by FLYonWALL9
Sweet idea. Good luck on the inspection. I can tell you now what the MPD is going to do. OGGLE! :D and give you a sticker

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:07 pm
by timoub007
2Cool Ken! I know everything will go well with the inspection.

I tried one of those switches too on my bass boat. It probably won't be a problem for you, but I could not even mount it on my Xpress. The way the dash was designed would not allow enough clearance between the steering wheel and some moulding. Make sure you check this clearance, but I doubt you'll have an issue.

Congrats!

Tim

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:12 am
by Doug
Great looking boat. Can't wait to hear how it performs. 8O
Remember to watch for stumps :wink:

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:19 pm
by stickystuff
Ordered pro trim switch today. $58.63 will be here Friday. Bought it localy at Quality Marine Surplus in Homosassa, Fl. Inspection was a piece of cake. Took about ten minutes. No cost and the officer came to the house. he only lives about a mile from me.Filed the report and will bring copy to me tomorrow.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:17 pm
by timoub007
Only 10 minutes. He must not have been nearly as impressed with your work as all of us are. What gives??? Is he not a boat guy?

Tim

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:32 pm
by stickystuff
Thats all it takes to fill out about 10 questions or less. No inspection really. Just how long, how wide and what material was used.Name address etc. No big deal. He was impressed. Says he misses Flamingo and down south. Bonefishing and permit. Very nice guy.