TW28

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Wilfried
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Wilfried »

Macca,

How did you fixed that stanley steel ?
Like I see on the pic it's in one part, but how thick is it ?

Wilfried
"Death solves all problems--No man, no problem."

Macca
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Macca »

"skeg
n. short fin, projection or brace at rear of keel of a sailing boat; fin at rear of surfboard."

You are right Jacques it is not a skeg but technicaly it's not a shoe either as it doesn't have sides. It's a 3mm 316 marine grade stainless steel plate adhered to the keel using Sika Sikaflex-292. http://www.sika.com.au/cmi/marine_products.htm

Why?
1. The marine surveyer suggested a shoe for protection when the TW28 is on a hardstand. I didn't want to compromise the keel lines so we settled on a 3mm 316 marine grade stainless steel plate. As he is the bloke who signs off on the survey certificate I like to stay on his good side.
2. Moreton Bay, where I intend to spend a lot of my time, is shallow in most parts and has shifting sand and mud banks. The 3mm 316 marine grade stainless steel plate should offer a little more protection when I find one.
3. The study plans state "This hull is designed to have around 2,000 lbs of ballast, some of it is trim ballast." The 3mm 316 marine grade stainless steel plate weighs in around 110lbs. Extra weight in the keel will help to cut down on ballast.

Macca

Salty Dog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salty Dog »

Macca,

Saw the new pics posted, they look great. That's alot of skin to cover, you sure she didn't let you get in a few hours on Christmas?

Looks like you'll be ready soon for the plated keel to see concrete. Great job again, look forward to your next few pics as you forge on.

Cheers-

S.D.

Wilfried
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Wilfried »

Macca,

Nice pic's again. What a ship !!! Good luck with the roll over.

Wilfried
"Death solves all problems--No man, no problem."

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction »

Why did you use stainless? Instead of Iron.

My understanding with stainless steel is that if it isn't exposed to oxigen it will corode. Or am I speaking of a urban myth. :)
"Off Fighting Windmills."

Salty Dog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Salty Dog »

Macca,

The paint has really helped to define it, it's looking great, even with the current stargazing keel. Of all of it, rolling to upright is the part that will also have me the most concerned. Enough prep, and it should behave predictably, all good. I'd help if I were in the AU neighborhood. Great job again, you're moving along at a good pace, just curious, is it just you, or, do you have others to help on occasion?

Cheers-

S.D.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Lackofdistinction wrote:Why did you use stainless? Instead of Iron.

My understanding with stainless steel is that if it isn't exposed to oxigen it will corode. Or am I speaking of a urban myth. :)
Thats why you dont use stainless fasteners under fiberglass - you use silca-bronze

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit »

The reason stainless is "stainless" is that an oxide coating builds up when it is expsoed to oxygen. That is what stops the corrosion. No oxygen, no oxide coating, but theoretically no oxygen, no oxidation (rust). Rick

Lackofdistinction
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Lackofdistinction »

Thats why I was curious about his use of a very expensive peice of stainless plate for his skeg when he could have used Iron or concrete like most production sailboats do? Any Ideas on Concrete?

But, oxidation is not the only cause of corosion how bout Electrolosys.
Sorry terrible speller :oops:
"Off Fighting Windmills."

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

SS will have excellent resistance to abrasion and this builder may have had access to inexpensive SS.
In most cases extra layers of glass are the best way to go but this keel already covred, on the outside, with 3/4" fiberglass!!
That's as much as I had on my sailing SUV (my last big sailboat) and I crushed my share of reefs with it.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com