A few words on paint

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
baba101
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by baba101 »

brian in cc wrote:.....I had one small spot near the bow where I had sanded through the primer(wr 155) and oddly enough thats the only place the paint stuck.I'm glad others have had good results with this product, personally I will never use it again. must have been a bad batch.
Hey Brian,
What primer did you use...? and please explain what you mean by wet sanding...are you adding water while sanding...? or sanding while the epoxy/primer/paint is still wet... :?:....I am a little spooked by your experience...can we see some picture...?

I hope things work out for you....good luck..

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I don't think Joel or I recommended to wipe with acetone. And whatever we say, what counts is what the paint manufacturer recommends and that's wiping with a damp cloth, with water. I am afraid too much acetone was used.
I use that paint system since it came out: brushing, rolling, spraying and it always bonded perfectly well and gives a very hard finish.
We have an FL12 in the warehouse that has been abused and the paint stands up very well.
I don't think there can be something like a bad batch, those paints are manufactured under the control of a chemist (John Bartlett) and the quality is consistent. This is almost certainly an application problem. I don't know what the problem is but if that paint works for us and many others, I wouldn't blame the paint.
Did you mix the activator with the paint?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

brian in cc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by brian in cc »

I thought it might help if I gave a rundown of my pre-spray procedure. sand primer to 100 grit. Blew off dust. Wiped down with acetone to remove oils from hands. Boat sat overnight. I sanded a few spots I missed the night before. Wiped down with acetone. Wiped down with water ,waited to dry and then vacumed and sprayed. The paint went on great with very little orange peel. I waited about three days and began wet sanding with 600 grit all the way through 1500 grit and buffed per manufactures directions.I could not have been happier the paint buffed to a mirror finish. I might add that I sprayed a friends boat with the system three paint using the same procedure and had no problems. I'm glad the paint came off the way it did (in big sheets) it made it much easier to remove.

PJPiercey
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by PJPiercey »

Could the problem be that the primer is not given long enough to totally cure? All of that water used for thinning the primer has to be given time to out gas. Ditto with the paint.

Paul

brian in cc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by brian in cc »

I dont think that was the problem. The primer was on the boat 8 days before I sprayed the paint,maybe I sanded and buffed too soon. I honestly don't know what the problem was. I didn't mean to talk down on the product ,I was just more than a little upset when all my beautiful paint peeled off my boat. It probably was something I did, I just don't know what.

maxgsx
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by maxgsx »

Acetone can be contaminated with other substances; it is often reclaimed. I would suspect that either some acetone vapour was trapped beneath your paint or that the acetone left something nasty behind when it evapourated.

In my opinion if a paint is water based, I would clean with water before applying and if solvent based, use a similar solvent.

What prep does the manufacturer recommend ???

brian in cc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by brian in cc »

The manufacturer recommends water or rubbing alcahol.I'm sure now that the acetone was the problem, I dont know what else it could have been. My friends boat turned out fine and I used acetone on it also. Like you said maybe the acetone left something behind,but here's a question,Why did the paint stick to the spot where I had sanded through the primer. It also got wiped down with the same acetone. It doesn,t really matter now as I've just primed again with awl-grip 545 primer.I would just hate to see it happen to any one else.

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey »

I understand; I didn't mean to insinuate that you were questioning the quality of the product. I feel for you. It's a tremendous amount of work to get to the point of applying paint. It's tough to try to second guess from here what might have caused the problem. I hope someone comes up with an idea that sheds light on it for you.

Paul

PJPiercey

Post by PJPiercey »

I understand; I didn't mean to insinuate that you were questioning the quality of the product. I feel for you. It's a tremendous amount of work to get to the point of applying paint. It's tough to try to second guess from here what might have caused the problem. I hope someone comes up with an idea that sheds light on it for you.

Paul

glennt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by glennt »

I have an idea about this. WEST publications make a big issue that adhesion problems are always from contamination and that rags can be a source. Specifically since fabric softener is known to impede adhesion and can be found in cloth rags. They strongly and repeatedly recommend wiping only with paper towels. So - Brian, did you wipe with cloth rags? Also, did you happen to note whether the wash water ran off in sheets rather than beading? One last, compressed air can contain oil.
What a nightmare for you, Brian!