A few words on paint

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
blcapt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: A few words on paint

Post by blcapt »

Ready to paint my HC 16 first build. I know nothing about paints, primers and finishes in general. I note that your last post on the topic was years ago. What's the latest and what do you recommend?

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

It really depends on what you want to get out of the paint. The System Three LPUs are "okay" smaller selection of colors, and I've seen a few minor issues with them. If you want to go for what the pros use I'd suggest Awlgrip. EMC is also good, and repairable (it's comparable to the Awlcraft line from Awlgrip)

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would not use the System 3 LPU's. Cracker Larry used it on the inside of No Excuse and I am having to repaint it. Go with Awl Grip or EMC for a longer lasting finish. For primer nothing beats the Silvertip Epoxy High Build Yacht Primer sold here.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

>8 Years is still not bad for a paint job. As they say, you get what you pay for. The awlgrip probably lasts a good 20 or so if well kept.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

With apologies, I'm going to repeat what I've said elsewhere and put in a word for us paupers. All the LPU's are very expensive so if you, like me, anticipate your boat not being kept in a velvet cradle in a humidity controlled shelter, you may, like me, wish consider a less expensive option. Of course, you've put in a lot of effort and you want the paint to last and be great looking, and may consider cheaper paint a false economy. But after a few run-ins with pilings, dock rash, and oyster shells and rocks on the beach, even the most expensive paint will be driven to submission.
I used Interlux Brightside. It took several coats for me to come up with the right application process but now I can do it very quickly with ease. It really looks amazing if you do it right. The Brightside I put on the shear stripe of my big boat looked good for ten years.
Tony

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Another paint related question - can I overlap topside paint over epoxy+graphite (sanded first) or do I need to prime the epoxy+graphite first?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

No need to prime as long as you rough it up with sanding first.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Question: Why are you putting paint on top of the graphite? It doesn't need further UV protection and the paint won't be as hard as the graphite/epoxy.
Tony

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I think he's just working out the overlap procedure. :)

I overlapped the lpu topsides with bottom paint. Sand prep the area of the overlap first and prep as required. Then i sand prepped both (cured) carefully, and painted the bootstripe over the meeting of the dissimilar paints. Topsides and bootstripe are still stuck, but the s3 lpu on the deck and 'sun surfaces' did not handle southern sun well. Cracked and flaked. Just started to need some care on the topsides. If I paint again anytime soon, it may be emc, not s3 again. But the s3 primer is nice. If you try to find out if a finish system is compatible with it, don't expect much official help from a company. They want to sell their own primer for their own finish system. I understand that. But I sure do like how easy the s3 primer is to use and shoot. :)

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

terrulian wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 pm Question: Why are you putting paint on top of the graphite?
Rather than taping off just the underside when applying the graphite+epoxy, I went ahead and covered the entire outside of the hull (SK14). The thought was that having the graphite under the paint on the sides wouldn't be a bad thing.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame