OB15 REBUILD

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Mike,
I had been working with Polyester glass for years due to cost and application in car and home audio. I like being able to make unlimited shapes with the stuff and its really cool how you can make any shape you wish.

Picked up the OB from the shop today with a brand new shiny poling platform. It is TOOOOO COOL, and turned out really good. Being late and I just got back from the Senior Bowl I cant take pictures tonight. Will post some tomorrow.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

The rain eased up just enough for me to go outside and take a couple quick pictures. The platfrom measures 34"tall x 39"wide x 25" front to back. Where you stand is really large and should be quite nice, not to have to worry about falling off the back. I still have to run a chase wire (rainy day project) and build the mahogany deck for it.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I have the same engine on my ph16 :D The cowling says 48, but its a 40 :doh:

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Joel, yeah I recall us talking before about speeds of your boat and the OB's with the same motor when I was trying to figure out prop size. I really like the motor. Just got new power packs this week from a fellah in south Florida off ebay.

What size wheel does your 40 have on it, what rpm can you turn up and speed on gps or fishfinder have you seen from it?

I haven't run the boat with this stainless wheel but she will get her chance in March if all goes well.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Scott, I do not have a tach or a fishfinder - its rigged pretty simple. The prop is a 17 aluminum. I run between 25 and 30 mph. Sorry I cant be more informative :oops:

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I do have an over heat alarm :D

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Does your motor over heat at idle speed in gear, like through a long no wake zone? I have a freind with a 48, I didn't know they were the same motor or is yours a true 40 that someone just stuck that hood on?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Its really a 40 with a 48 cover. It remains very cool even at idle - the water pump is new and really puts a lot of volume through the engine.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Had a pretty productive day today. Cut my livewell bulkhead, built my fillets and fiberglass taped the seam to hold it in place. Should be dry enough to sand tomorrow.

Cut and planed my mahogany top for my poling platform and started shaping them to match the ring on the platform will finish shaping tomorrow. Once that is shaped I'll take it apart and glue them up and add battens under to support the center. Drilled and wired my GPS antenna and running light wire.
Last edited by FLYonWALL9 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Pretty good day today.

Plugged old holes and screw holes in the sole and glassed them in cut it down to 70" in length. Epoxy coated the underside, sanded the hull, cut new knees 10" for the gunwale. Installed new livewell in forward cockpit bulkhead. Put new cleats on bulkheads for the new deck.

Tomorrow, I'll finish sanding the hull inside for the sole and cut a hole in for the drain. Glass in all new knees. Frame in new console and cut ply.

Will post pictures soon.