OB15 REBUILD

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Davef
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Davef »

Scott,

That's looking real good.
L8tr
d

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Thanks Dave,
I consider myself at best a Padawan learner behind your guidance when I was building mine! :D
Last edited by FLYonWALL9 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Fearing the weekend COLD BLAST, I thought today was the day to get lots done.

I faired the cockpit, well good enough for me anyway. My decks were roughed in yesterday so I sanded them down to the rubrail today. Hardest part was trying to figure out how plank my platform and glue it up so the planks are level with one another. So if anyone reads this here is how you have to do it.

Cut your planks and shape them to what your after. Then you have to make a backing plate your backing plate should be smaller than the deck so once its on the poling platfrom the backing plate will be on the inside of the platform and the decking will over hang the ring of the platform. I thought I would be able to gap evenly with putting screws as my plank devider but that doesn't fly. The screw will grap the plank and turn it into the rotation of the screw driver. So, you have to put the backing plate on the platform, spread out your glue, then lay on your planks. From under the platfrom screw into each plank. What this will do is draw up your planks to the backing plate and make the boards level to one another. To give you gap put finder washers between the planks. I will post pictures tomorrow when I can get around that platform with my camera. To messy at present.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Due to the cold weather very few projects could be done. So, I finished up some shaping and started on some varnishing.
Put the first coat on my platform, doesn't really matter if trash gets into its finish it will have nonskid on the last two coats.

also my 3rd coat on my wheel.

finshed shaping my bezel and put its first coat of varnish.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Weather has been so cold here 28 at night and mid 40s in the day that my calking hasn't dried so no painting for me. I have been able to finish up my wiring and think it came out pretty clean. Not as clean as the last time because I'm dealing with a much smaller console but still pretty nice. My Father got me a switch panel from a boat maker that was going out of biz that was wired with water proof switches and fuse holders for like 2 bucks.

IF ANY OF THE BATEAU STAFF READS THIS:

You guys should really look into making up some plastic blanks from a trophy shop or something for a switch panel saying BATEAU BOATS or DESIGNS just something. Some of us wouldn't want to put a big ole honkin sticker but a switch panel would be a really clean touch.

Johnshan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Johnshan »

Looking great scott, as an electrician I give you a thumbs up 8) Talk about cold, last weekend even with the heat on in my portable car garage my epoxy wouldnt cure worth a darn, -10 out I think it was, with the wind howling, I keep saying I need a real garage if im ever going to build again!!

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

-10deg good lord JOHN!

Yeah man if I had a bit more room I would use the stick up wire tie holders and route these things like a production boat, like I used to rewire.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Movin right along.
Smeared on some paint on the console last night and my back bulkhead and parts of the sole. So, I would have something to do today. So, I installed all my toys in the console, am/fm/cd, battery switch, switch panel, speakers in the rear bulkhead (THEY ROCK!). Ran all my wires, cables and hoses to my engine. Broke the stinkin warm up lever on the control box :evil: but was still able to test fire ole Nelly! Tellin ya that ole girl fired with less than 1/4 turn of the flywheel. Old OMC's Johnsons may smoke like Scott Paper but they sure are reliable.

So, everything is ready to go say for the warm up lever. Without I'm kinda at a stand still to do my decks. I'll finish up my platform top while I wait

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Delays, rain, cold weather crap crap crap!

So I can scratch off one thing on my long build list. My platform is ready for its new home atop of the OB! Wired and ready to go with a fancy vintage stern light (I had to put something pretty on it)..
My last coats of varnish are drying now, with my nonskid in it. I think it came out really well.

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

Beautiful work. Will the darker color platform get hot in the sun?