OB15 REBUILD

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Not sure Dan, I have left it out in the sun before putting on any finish coats and it didn't get any hotter than my old painted deck. The pictures make it look lots darker than it is. Doubt it will ever get to the point of even warm to the touch.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Slipped late Friday eve and busted my big ole arse gettin out of the boat. Felt a few things pull and pop been kinda taken it easy this weekend. Weather wasn't the best for doing much yesterday so today (sunday) I finished molding my gauge panel, routed, sanded, filled, stained, and varnished first coat. I'm not crazy about how it looks but It will work out nicely. I'll post pictures when its dry enough and post them.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Well I had some stain, varnish problems with my gauge panel so I had to sand/scrape/ and reshape a tad to get all the old crap off. I have never seen varnish do what it did. So, this go round I just varnished with no stain and like the outcome. Ended up with 4 coats and one of them had some small freckles. Tired of messing with this one part so I am pressing on.

Oh by the way the decks will end up being the same color as the gauge panel, a honey teak color. Odd for mahogany to end up like this unless I suppose its not a real old growth tree.

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Very beautiful piece Scott. Can't wait to see what she looks like complete.

You're doing great, keep the pics coming.

Tim

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Running out of projects to do until my throttle control gets in(sighs i shouldve got one from stink). I figured I needed to tackle my rod holder that is going in the port gunwale top. The underside will have pvc tubes to hold the butts in place and a cord will hold the rods to the holder. Not much thought was put into it just had some scrap mahogany and needed to hold 4 more rods.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Very nice.

And I like the idea of a blank for electrical panel or such, that reads something like,

Custom Built from a Bateau Design

If you recommend and sell a particular panel, the blank would make more sense, or, offer a service to customize one for a particular set of dimensions or model of panel, or, it doesn't even have to fit a switch panel.... just a plastic or engraved metal plate of some sort, charge for it, but brand the company with it so it can be displayed on the boat. If you really want to look official, you could assign serially generated design license numbers, and include that on the plaque. Just ideas, since we can tend to be proud of the designs we've labored to bring to life in wood and glass... :)

ks

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

I think that suggestions like these aren't over looked but I know they take time to put into the line up. Along with hats, tshirt, license plate frames. They will happen in due time, until then I'll just have mine made put pictures of it up so the guys will see the interest. After all we got hooked on these boats from a snow ball rollin and likewise it goes.

But don't look for me to have them made, I don't feel its my place ethically or legally.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Thanks to Stink I was able to get most of my lay out finalized today. He gave me the lever that I had trouble getting. I was able to mount my controls, adjust cables, fire motor and see about dash layout.

I have a few pictures one they will show the rod holder I am working on in the front of the console and one in front of the console but on the gunwale. Here is the deal with my push pole on the helm side of the boat (where everyone mounts them) with the rod holder on the gunwale not sure how they will go around one another. The rods in the font of the console will be in line of sight but not sure if its that big of a deal? So here are the layout pics.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Started laying my edge planks today and cut my king plank. The edge planks are (4) 1/2x1/2 and the king plank is 4" x 1/2. Once I have all this glued down I'll be able to start doing my decking. It should go pretty fast with the hardest part cutting the edges to line up with the curve of the bow of the edge decking that you see in these pics. I forgot I had to cut a hole in the subfloor so I would know where my wires will run for my gps and running light.

Last edited by FLYonWALL9 on Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

That looks like a pretty cool deck layout for an ob15. I now see what you were describing for your layout. Looking forward to the finished product.

One question about your engine control. Are you able to push to WOT without hitting your knuckles on the console?