Time To Repaint My XF20 Any Suggestions?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Time To Repaint My XF20 Any Suggestions?

Post by CatfishHunter »

I just pressure washed the entire topcoat of totalboat topside paint off my xf20. After fighting the peeling and poorly adhering paint since day one it's finally time to take it down to the primer and repaint it and the non skid. The boat is primered in system three silver tip and it is still rock solid and the best primer i have used ever... not one scrape or peeling area on any of it. The problem lies with the total boat topcoat and the kiwi grip non skid not sticking to the primer. I want to steer clear of both. I'd like any suggestions on a more durable paint. I will be rolling and tipping and it's not possible for me to spray as I don't have the space or equipment. I'll need around a gal of both and would like to stay under $500 for the repaint. Please only first hand experience, not passed on information from a friend of a friend, or something you've read online lol :lol:

Thanks for any suggestions,
CatfishHunter
372269529_994221901815265_4549127230498662489_n.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Time To Repaint My XF20 Any Suggestions?

Post by Jaysen »

EMC/Quantum

A scuff on the primer will get you enough for the EMC to stick. You need to be careful to keep the surface clean and do the prep proper. The only places I have peel is where I got lazy with the cleaning before painting. Use the sand style non-skid additive. Works perfectly.

My V12 was done with cheap rollers, no tip, and shoddy adherence to mix ratios. The paint still came out nice.

You might be tight on the budget. Call BBC and get a quote.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm convinced Interlux is the only way to fly; despite not having it on my boat!

Got Kiwigrip and it is really doing well here in Minnesota.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

EMC/Quantum Seems a little pricey and says to spray it only or it needs a clear coat on top? Did you spray or roll and tip Jaysen?

After pressure washing some more, the kiwigrip non skid is only coming up where i overlapped the topcoat paint... So I might stick with it for the non skid. I'll check into the interlux. Everything sure has double in price since i built my boat :roll:

As tough as this System Three Primer is she might just get another coat of it and remain battleship grey... lol

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I rolled. Use the roller/brushing additive. it did not need a topcoat. I’m not sure it does but I haven’t bought any for a while. BBC should be able to set you up pretty quick.

It is a bit pricy, but I’ve done repairs to the hull, slapped a couple coats of paint on it and you can’t tell the difference between the old and new.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

OK, first hand experience! :lol:

I rolled and tipped International Perfection 2-pack polyurethane undercoat and topcoat onto my boat seven (7) years ago and it still looks as new in spite of lots of use in some pretty demanding environments. I expect you budget could be a bit tight to do likewise.

I have Kiwigrip on top of the above on the cockpit floor, which has also endured well!

I would have no hesitation in repeating the above! :D

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

I am a big fan of alexseal with the roll additive so that you don't have to tip. You can embed sand in it for the nonskid. It's quite hard(durable) but is repairable unlike awlgrip. That said I don't think you will get all you need for $500 and I think you need to be very careful and precise in mixing and applying following their detailed guide. Result is amazing though.

Personally I would only consider two part polyurethane paints for durability, painting takes too long for anything else.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I like the EMC Quantum a lot! Rolled and brushed it with no issues other than playing around with how much of the brushing reducer to add. It will break the $500 budget, but it is some good stuff. After sanding and repainting 2 OD 18s I would rather spend the money than the time to have to do it again. You don't need a clear coat on top. It is UV resistant.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I had same good results with EMC as CapeMan.

Dougster