Where are you building?

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
W1ngz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Where are you building?

Post by W1ngz »

So this is where I'm at in my planning. I know what I want to build, I know what I want in it, I have a rough build plan and I know how it's being paid for.

I need to find a place to build, and I'm starting to realize just how many little jobs there are that most people likely knock off after dinner or in all the other little in-between moments. I'm sure it makes for a nice easy distraction when your build is just out the back door, but what about when the boat is a 20 minute (or more) drive away? All those little jobs that can't get done after dinner are going to pile up, and must really eat away at the progress. And that's on top of living North where I'm already looking at a half year build season.

I'm guessing most people who decide to move forward with a build live in more rural areas, or outer suburbs where space is less limited, and there's fewer of those infuriating and over-reaching building and urban development rules. Easy enough if you're only building a dingy or canoe, and have a garage. But what if you don't have a garage? Or you're building a 20-something foot boat that just doesn't fit in a normal garage?

For those who live in dense suburban areas or cities outright, where are you building and how did you score your building site?
How far is it from home, and how much of an impact does the travelling have on your progress?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Where are you building?

Post by Jaysen »

Indirect response to the travel side of that question …

I’ve hade repair work on a couple boats that were 2hr, 45min and 30min away. The 2hr one I worked a way to stay onsite and killed a 3 day repair in 18hr by not traveling. The 45min one was the Viking repair I documented here. After traveling to that one day after day I decided “stay on site and force options” or reject the job was my future. The 30min one is my sail boat. I stay on it when I can and work repairs while I’m there. No repair is really small enough for after dinner with 60min of travel.

Take that for what it’s worth coming from an “old man” the goes to bed at 9:30p every day.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

You want to build close to or at home. So many little things to stay on top of...

For example, let's say you want to laminate a part 12"x12". It can be done after dinner; takes 20 minutes or so. Far away, drive time required.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If you are living in a major city I can see some challenges. What options do you have? Build in back yard? Basement? Rent space? At least one fella built in his living room but that will not work for most folks :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Didn’t narfi build in his dining room? One of you Alaskans did ….
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

W1ngz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by W1ngz »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:13 pm If you are living in a major city I can see some challenges. What options do you have? Build in back yard? Basement? Rent space? At least one fella built in his living room but that will not work for most folks :lol:
Right now, I don't have many.
Back yards and basements in built-up suburbs aren't suitable, and over-regulated. I'm planning for a Maia 24, so it won't fit.

Most RV/boat parking lots in and around major cities don't allow for anything more than basic maintenance, but no actual 'work'.

City marinas have limited space on land, and what they do have is parking. Not even any winter boat storage. Any actual boatyards are 45+ minutes away.

I'm considering looking for some underused outdoor industrial yards or lots, but outdoor industrial space at commercial rates is expensive. Indoor space is flat out prohibitive.

I have a contact with a truck yard who isn't terribly far away, so I might be able to find a corner of his yard where I'm not in the way, but would be at the mercy of the needs of the business.

Another option is quite spacious, potentially with an occasional indoor work area for any smaller parts or assemblies, but not a full hull. Unfortunately, it's over an hour away from home.

Another maybe, but probably not, is a nearby native reserve with a marina. I'm planning to ask, but expecting them to refuse since I'm not part of their local community.

The last option is to just move somewhere rural. My mortgage right now is locked in at those really sweet 2021 interest rates, so any change there would be financially stupid for the next few years. Getting out of the city isn't the worst idea, it just delays the start longer than I'd hoped. The advantage there is having the project at home would shorten the build time, likely making up for any delay in the start.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Sounds like you have the desire to build but finding the space is going to be tough. I had a similar problem years ago. I built a nice shop even before I had a house. I was single so I built a little cabin next to the shop. Might have been the best time of my life :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Seems to me you built a cabin IN the current shop too!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:34 pm Seems to me you built a cabin IN the current shop too!
A man needs a place to go out of the house. I find it really helps to keep me out of trouble with the boss. :roll:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:49 pm [quote=Jaysen post_id=511264 time=<a href="tel:1701293667">1701293667</a> user_id=79239]
Seems to me you built a cabin IN the current shop too!
A man needs a place to go out of the house. I find it really helps to keep me out of trouble with the boss. :roll:
[/quote]

I’m definitely following that plan if I ever get the chance. Right now I get to go sit in the shed or on a neighbor’s dock when I’m instructed to be elsewhere.