OB15 in NC - Flounder Drum Trout

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OB15 in NC - Flounder Drum Trout

Post by Buz »

The Coppermine gallery here. Three pics show on the main recent uploads page.
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That one requires a bit of url magic. Check out the phpbb gallery tutorial at viewtopic.php?t=64990 and see if that works for you.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Let there be pics!

On my seventh and eighth tapes I finally got 34" of 12 oz beautifully wetted with 3 oz of epoxy. I've always needed too much resin for wet-out but I'm seeing improvement. Had enough left to wet the join at the rear, too. I'll have to sand that day after tomorrow when the rain stops, but its flat and easy.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Jig before adding another mold and additional bracing.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

DON'T DO THIS!

I'm working outside. With slow. In 60 degree temps. I decided to make these joints the other day several hours before rain was to come. Thought they'd be stiff enough by time to move em inside. Moved em inside but didn't do sufficient bracing beforehand. The joint flexed while we moved it and this long bubble was waiting for me this morning. So insufficient planning led to no bracing across the joint when I had to move it too soon.

I filled it with a syringe (used a nail to make holes) and it was still flexible enough to rub/mash down with about 100lb of weight on a very narrow strip atop the bubble.

I know that's not a good joint. When I filled it today in anger, I was intending to grind it smooth just before putting on wide cloth, figuring the other 36oz of tape and wide there would be enough to hold it together. I've realized since that grinding it off will release the tension on the outside of the joint and it'll just break open before I can glass over it. So I gotta grind it down and redo the whole tape before trying to bend it around a jig.

I hope I (and others) can learn from this mistake.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

I copied the F brace and inserted the copy into position for a G brace.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Since the bottoms are ready, I drilled the holes and put stitches along most of the keel to show my building partner and his dad how this'll work. Not much aligning I could do without the weight of the side panels to help as I tightened, but we went back and forth for a few minutes with the zip-ties and pieces of PVC tube to show em how it bends into shape. I remember how fascinating that was for me first time I did/saw it.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Buz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:14 pm I know that's not a good joint. When I filled it today in anger, I was intending to grind it smooth just before putting on wide cloth, figuring the other 36oz of tape and wide there would be enough to hold it together. I've realized since that grinding it off will release the tension on the outside of the joint and it'll just break open before I can glass over it. So I gotta grind it down and redo the whole tape before trying to bend it around a jig.

I hope I (and others) can learn from this mistake.
Good on you for recognizing what needed to be done and doing it, rather than looking back and wishing you'd taken the time to correct it and wondering if there would be any consequences. 8)
Hank

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Jiggled the ties some to train the tips of the bottoms for their big day. Getting even this far required PVC tubes under the ties.

Meanwhile, the redone side joins are laying there still as can be. Stupid wood.