fs14_ls in the midwest

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeromesfs14ls
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: fs14_ls in the midwest

Post by Jeromesfs14ls »

The rear hatch gutter is a 2x4 I cut a groove in vs the front is layers of plywood to get the gutter shape. I am did the 2x4 one in back for the extra strength needed for that area.

Jeromesfs14ls
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jeromesfs14ls »

I will also be adding a gasket in the hatch, I have yet to plan that out yet.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jeromesfs14ls wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:18 pm The rear hatch gutter is a 2x4 I cut a groove in vs the front is layers of plywood to get the gutter shape. I am did the 2x4 one in back for the extra strength needed for that area.
Did you also put drains in the gutters?

Very nice workmanship.

Jeromesfs14ls
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jeromesfs14ls »

Thanks , I have kicked that idea around. Not sure I will need them since I will just be on some smaller calm water lakes.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

You will need them when you wash or hose down the boat. Even if you are careful there will be standing water
in the gutters.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Nothing on a boat stays dry. Assume water will get into every crevice that is not permanently sealed.

That’s what an old sailor told me once. So far nothing has proven him wrong.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I'm going to attempt at least one dry locker with hatch on the next boat I build, but I'm also planning several open storage compartments with drains- easy to build, light weight and practical.

I agree with Topwater that you will have water getting into that gutter and need a plan for letting it drain- you may be out in the boat and get caught by a sudden downpour; whatever the source you'll have a better chance of keeping water from getting into the locker if the gutter doesn't retain water. The most difficult scenario is when you're hosing off the decks, a stream of water can get past many seals. If it absolutely needs to stay dry, put it in a dry bag inside a dry compartment.
Hank

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

If you go outside to "play" you will get rained on. Which means the way your hatch is designed the water will roll of the hatch and drain into the gutter. After the gutter is full where does it go? If water gets in the gutter at all how do you get it back out. If no drains then why the gutter? Build them without the gutter and hope your seal is enough.

My own build I bought hatches for the back. They have a seal on the hatch and another seal on the frame. Even with double seals water will get into the opening, no getting around it. But the hatches are for tank wells, which already have water in them most the time. Control valve locker, again don't care if water gets in. Aft anchor locker, it is ok for it to get wet also. The only hatch that maybe sensitive to water will be the electrical locker and that hatch will almost ever be opened, I hope. Even then everything in it will be sealed as best as possible from moisture.

My front lockers will be something I build, hope my craftsmanship comes close to yours, but will have drains to go into the main drain system. The idea is to channel any water away from any seals and the seal is the last protection from water getting into the locker.

Jeromesfs14ls
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jeromesfs14ls »

Now that you guys have opened up my eyes to this, and my mind was racing the idea and the work to put in those drains is really a simple and easy task at this stage of my build.
Glad that this forum has people like you all. What a simple mistake I would have made.

Jeromesfs14ls
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jeromesfs14ls »

Has anyone ever attempted making a built in live well in a fs14ls?
Or is it best to do the cooler style setup?
Just worried about leaking and making a larger problem than what’s it’s really worth