knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

Post by Knottybuoyz »

narfi wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:04 pm Sounds like a well thought out system! Will you have a start battery as well or will the wireless battery also be here for the engine?

I think I remember you were going to use a small gas generator. Are you planning on utilizing an oversized alternator for the house bank as well?
The starter battery will be stand alone and dedicated to just that task. The little Yammy rolls over very easily and won't take a huge battery to start it. The DC/DC charger will take care of keeping it charged.

We have a Honda 2000 watt genny installed in the lazarette.

I suspect we won't need it much unless we're cruising for an extended period of time and it's overcast. As long as we can run our refrigerator we'll be good for power. The engine has a 100 amp alternator right now. At some point in time, if we find ourselves needing more charging from it I have bookmarked a Balmar and surpentine belt & pullies kit. That's a little pricey at the moment so we'll wait to see how well disciplined our power management really is. Of course it's all speculation at this point. :lol:
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Hey fellas. Still trying to get some stuff done despite the cold and wet weather here. Slowly inching towards spring. In today's update "You know you're making progress when you're drilling holes in your hull" edition! :lol:

This thru-hull will feed raw water to the head and maybe the anchor washdown pump. It's a 1" Forespar Marelon seacock with strainer.

The hole itself is 1-3/8". I opened up the inside laminate and removed the core.

The core removed displays the thickness of the bottom panel is, 19mm (3/4”) of which the outer layer of glass is approx. 5mm (5/16”) and the inner glass is approx. 4.5mm (1/8”). The black areas are the fiberglass.

I made up a backing plate and mixed up a wild mixture of milled fibers, cabosil and microspheres as a filler. I never use wood flour below the waterline.

After 24 hrs the epoxy mix hadn't cured so I had to put some heat on it for about 6 hours.

I'll redrill and finish the seacock install today. Weather permitting.

On a side note, every time I enter the v-berth I smash my head on the forward edge of the cabin top. :? :roll: So this was my temperary solution.

That's about it for today. Hope everyone is well and happy! Cheers!
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Ooops forgot one.

Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Live now on YouTube our latest vLog update. What's the putz up to now? Drilling a BIG hole in my boat! You're gonna wanna to see this one! 😁

https://youtu.be/Ur5kyC4SOBY

Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Moving forward! Battens & bunks for the v-berth.

Top Secret Rum Locker

Cutting hatch openings in bunks.

Next video coming Friday @11:00 hrs EST

Standby...
Yours Aye! Rick

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looking good, but the rum locker looks kind of small!

Seriously, it's good to see you're still plugging along and actually getting there.
Hank

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

pee wee wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:34 am Looking good, but the rum locker looks kind of small!

Seriously, it's good to see you're still plugging along and actually getting there.
Rum locker should hold about 8 40 oz. bottles. I checked! :lol:

London Dock
Lamb's Old Navy
Pusser's Navy Rum
Newfoundland Schreech
Appleton's Estate VX Signature Blend
Kraken Black Spiced Rum
Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum
Bacardi Oak Heart Rum

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius (551-479 BC), philosopher
Yours Aye! Rick

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Seems a little light to me!

Add some El Dorado, Diplomatico, Botran, Dictador, Plantation and most importantly, Kirk and Sweeney to that list. Figure 40 bottles too. Never find yourself quoting Capt Jack Sparrow.. “Where do all the rum go!?!?!?”
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:26 pm Seems a little light to me!

Add some El Dorado, Diplomatico, Botran, Dictador, Plantation and most importantly, Kirk and Sweeney to that list. Figure 40 bottles too. Never find yourself quoting Capt Jack Sparrow.. “Where do all the rum go!?!?!?”
Ah so many fine rums left to enjoy and so little left of my liver. :lol:
Yours Aye! Rick