TJ's V10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: TJ's V10

Post by terrulian »

Another outing with the V10 as tender to our Catalina 22. GG Bridge in background.
Tony

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hallo Tony,
What a nice picture and the sandy beach is also perfect to tow the boat out.
Have lots of fun with your tender.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

What an iconic picture! Evokes stories...

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Tony,
I can understand that you will not come to Florida to the boat builders meet. I just looked again at your pictures in this thread and you have got everything I would want to have close by, the sea. As you know I live in a land locked country and its a 450 km ride to come to the Adriatic sea where we go to Croatia once a year for a week to have a holiday at the sea. When I mentioned to my wife that the builders meet falls on my 70 th birthday she suggested to me to celebrate it with going there as I do not like big ( birthday) partys and would much rather be at the sea. That is how most probably my last long trip came about. If I could see the sea and Golden Gate Bridge like you just about every day, not ten horses could get me away from such a nice spot.
Wish you fair winds and nice sailing trips.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Wish you fair winds and nice sailing trips

And same to you, Karl!
Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Some updates.
First, here's a look at some of the rowing expeditions I've done around Marin County, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. I foolishly did not record all of them.

Secondly, I cleaned the boat a bit and had a look at some specifics after two years of relatively hard, if not regular, use. I thought these photos might be informative.
First, the good news:
Bow seat, which is glassed, looks OK. Stern seat looks as good.
Center thwart, which was also glassed and obviously gets the most use, is fine. The blobbiness you see is a combination of reflection and wetness, as I just rinsed it off. There are no deep scrapes or gouges.
Breast hook looks fine and again the irregularities are from lighting and water sitting on the surface. It's way shinier than this photo shows:
Here are some other shots where wear is more apparent, but the point is that all these areas were glassed, and had they not been, these scrapes would have gone through to the wood.
Top edge of the transom:
Gunwale bordered by the rubber rail (blobs are not peeling paint but water on the surface):

Now the bad stuff. Pursuant to Jaysen's look at his boat, here are a couple of spots, one at the knuckle below the stem:
And the really bad one, just forward of the bronze runner that protects the skeg. Note that the bronze is fine, but the skeg, covered in two layers of glass and about 4 or 5 coats of graphite/epoxy, is down to the wood. The bronze has held up extremely well.

I'm going to put at least two more pieces of 3" glass tape from the stem to the beginning of the bronze, and then several more coats of epoxy/graphite. The reason I didn't continue the bronze strip farther is that it was screwed into the skeg, and forward of where it ends screws would have penetrated the hull.

On another note: I have added an extension to my cart and with the extra length, it is a breeze to just slide the boat into the water, and recovery is equally easy. You still have to maneuver it in and out of the truck, but that is comparatively easy.
The 1" ID pvc has an OD that fits just right inside the 1.5" OD aluminum extrusion. It is held in place with a stainless bolt and wing nut.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

She looks good Tony. I'd be tempted to run that bronze all the way forward. As far as the screws go... 5200. How many HP are you generating with those oars? :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The bronze is attached with screws as well as 5200 and is adhering very well.
How many HP are you generating with those oars?
Man, it's Herculean! :wink: :lol:

I do about 2.5 knots comfortably and about 3.2 with a little more effort, in flat water with no wind.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Ha!

My thought was more that 5200 would hold that strip on with just about anything a person or the wind could hit. I'd only bother with screws on the bow (where built up) and on the skeg (over drilled and filled). If we were motor boats... then I'd think we'd need screws through the whole length.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Perhaps I should have more confidence in the 5200, but I've never used it in a situation where it was likely I was going to drag it over a rock.
Just now I laid three more layers of 3" tape stem to stern. It's kind of an ugly job compared to my original but I'll do some shot at fairing just a little. The fact is, even I never see the underside the boat, and if I don't, who does?
Tony