TJ's V10

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: TJ's V10

Post by bigyellowtractor »

My mate works in tungsten carbide and I was amazed to discover that they glue wear parts and cutting tips to metal so there must be something that will stick a rubbing strake to a dinghy. :D

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Well, if you find out let us know. :D
Tony

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by bigyellowtractor »

terrulian wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 pm Well, if you find out let us know. :D
An enquiry to Loctite might come up with some suggestions

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater »

I have used silvertip epoxy to glue bronze and brass , aluminum . I have glued bronze to Ipe , brass to aluminum.
The key is to really rough up the parts you are going to epoxy . The more bite the better. I used epoxy with silica
to stick it. No problems so far. Make sure the parts are super clean " acetone or alcohol" . There is a whole chapter
about epoxying metal in the Gougeon brothers book on boat building.
Novi 23 finally launched !

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Thanks, topwater. I probably should have considered this originally but didn't.
I just finished slapping three more layers of tape on the centerline and will finish with some more graphite/epoxy, and leave that option for next time I need to repair it since I am hampered by a schedule right now.

BTW, I can't believe what a sloppy job I'm doing this time around compared to the guy who built the boat...all dictated by rushing.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And knowing you can fix it. Don't forget that little tidbit. It's easier to look at it and say "eh... sandpaper next time" than it was to recognize "it is all fixable" while giving birth to your boat the first time.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

For any of you interested in my adventures on my little V10, send a friend request to Tony Johnson on Facebook. You might get some other stuff but I don't post too much. The latest outing was an expedition to the island seen here, off the Marin County coast in San Pablo Bay. Image

The description of this particular voyage is here on FB. Perhaps I should make these public so you wouldn't have to suffer the indignity of being my "friend."

https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.1 ... 437&type=3
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That idiot named Jaysen sent you a request.

Happy turkey day!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yep, I got it...confirmed!
Tony

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »