HC12 England

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC12 England

Post by bigyellowtractor »

Jaysen, I don't think my artist's skills will run to that :-)

Got nothing done on it yesterday; heavy and long day at work and I was proper knackered when I got home.

Today I managed a coat of white inside the end lockers and a final topcoat on the outside.

Hope to get the last paint inside tomorrow, then will leave it a few days to fully cure before fitting a few bits and bobs. Actually, it'll have almost a week 'cause I'm trail-riding in Wales this coming weekend.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

No pictures but the little ship has now had two full coats of primer and two satin top-coats to all surfaces. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.

Bought a little PFD for my Granddaughter Ella but I think I want to get really competent at paddling the thing before I take her out in it. Don't want to dunk her and have her scared of water.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Look forward to the pictures. Good thinking with the grandbaby too!

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Little ship is all but finished; I have one more little embellishment to do. :)

Might get a chance to splash it this week but going to be up against it a bit; my van has failed it's MoT which is a yearly inspection that all vehicles over three years old have to have in the UK. I think it's probably not going to be worth repairing so I'm going to need to source another van.
Attachments
IMG_7487.JPG
IMG_7490.JPG
IMG_7491.JPG
IMG_7492.JPG
IMG_7495.JPG

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The subtle graphics add a lot. Well done!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Congratulations, that is a fine looking canoe! I put you on the build threads page.

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Just for interest, I weighed it today 27.5kg / 60.5lb.

Don't know what it's supposed to be because the weights given on the study plans, the metric drawings and the imperial drawing all contradict.

It's built from 5mm, 5-ply, Gaboon / Okoume.

The bulkheads for the end compartments are 5mm ply, the seats and decks are rigid foam, decks are glassed with 9oz biax both sides and the seats with a light woven.

The rubrail is two layers of 5mm ply.

Fully faired on the outside, minimal fairing on inside.

2.75l of primer and top-coat

bigyellowtractor
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Ok, so you boys are always interested in "Numbers" so here are mine for my HC, grabbed from my GPS after today's paddle :-)
(these were conducted in true speed record style; average of runs both ways incase of any wind advantage)

Single wooden paddle, J-stroke, with the odd swap-side..............2.1mph

Asymmetrical spoon bladed kayak paddle, not trying too hard.......3.6mph

Same paddle, WOT...........................................................4.3mph

I suspect that 4.5mph is this boat's hull speed because looking at the tracklog, even at the early part of my test runs, it wouldn't go any quicker.

I also did some stability and capsize experiments today. (fully expecting to get wet)

I managed to stand up in the boat and rock it side to side with my feet for a while.

I nealt on the chine and submerged the gunwale, completely swamping the boat. It still managed to float with about two inches of freeboard at the midpoint but was very, very wobbly. I doubt I would be able to bail it out on anything but mirror-flat water.

I capsized it and once I'd caught my breath and my bollocks had returned from my chest cavity, I righted the boat. I was able to tip all but an inch of water out of the boat while treading water but I could not get myself back in without submerging the rubrail and half filling the boat. I suppose if I really needed to, I could have spent some time bailing it out and carried on my way but I swam to the bank, tipped out the water and got back in.

Conclusions from these experiments.......

I need to get some floating rope for the painters; I got my foot tangled whilst swimming the boat to the bank. I was wearing a PFD, didn't panic and sorted it out but it could have been a real problem in different circumstances.

I was right to get a paddle lanyard.

The water is fcuking cold and I was really quite knackered by the time I'd finished dicking about.
Last edited by bigyellowtractor on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

that about sells me on the kayak paddles :)

I wonder if you would be able to get back in with someone as a counter balance on the other side as you tried to crawl in?
I wonder if you could manage in over the bow if there was a loop of rope to step up with?

(by 'you' I mean 'me or Landon next summer') :P