VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by Fuzz »

It is amazing how the labor hours increase with the size of the build. Time is the one thing most builders underestimate the worst.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And how much longer the small things at the end take to do than the giant things at the beginning. So much faster to get a stack of plywood to look like a boat then a “hull shaped thing” to be an actual sea worthy vessel.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Yep, thanks all! I totally agree with the comments. I read that, for commercial boat builders, finishing the hull is considered to be roughly 1/3 of the total build time. I've been reasonably accurate with estimates up to now, based on experience of construction from my previous build. Any delays have been due to unforeseen "life" stuff that you can't predict. But as the "construction" phase ends and the "finishing" phase begins, my estimates of time taken are bound to become more inaccurte as I've never built a boat this big/intricate before. The cockpit hatches and lids already took x2 my time estimate. Still, if I had a full year to work I reckon I'd be ready to launch by the end of this year. But with only 28 weeks max this year, I'm thinking it is guaranteed to drag on into 2025. That will be fine. I intended retiring completely on 31st Jan this year. It is now going to be early July but not a day longer...

For the build up to now there have been plenty of hard weeks and 10-12 hour days when I can (and also some slacking off!). Plus I've been doing the Westlawn courses too, and they've taken plenty of time as well. As Rick suggests, there will be plenty more long days and weeks to come too. But whatever happens it is making me happy. I'm learning and building and I'm 100% confident we'll have a boat in the water as soon as is reasonably possible.

Thanks to everyone for taking an interest in the build :-)

Cheers,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The big shops do finishing way different. For example the gelcoat is often put into the mold before the glass. This means the hull is “faired and finished” the minute it’s popped with only touchups required. That 1/3 number is really just about working the rigging and other stuff that we think of as the last 1/5 of the build.

That’s not to scare you off, but to let you know that you should not be bothered if your numbers suddenly balloon over your estimates. You’re not a pro. You’re not using their methods. You’re doing this as a hobby.

That said, you are crushing this build timeline. It will be interesting to see how you do from here.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Some fruits of my recent travel.

Main sheet traveller track (Barton)

Rigging screws/turnbuckles (Petersen/Hayn)

Log (Walker's Excelsior IV)

Toggles from Petersen (for attaching standing rigging to mast) were delivered incorrectly - they've fixed it now, but I'll have to collect on a future visit.

The log was picked up cheap from a second-hand shop, but it appears completely un-used. A letter in the box states it was bought in 1972 but returned as it wasn't suitable for the boat (?). I won't be selling it, but in writing this post I checked and see there is one currently on EBAY for $615 and another for $900. Bit of work with the brass polish is in order I think...

https://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritag ... rticle=619

Time to get back to work now. The boat won't build itself (sadly).

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Mick!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

The missus is away for work this week, so time for a few of those long days mentioned previously. I've got the first primer on the boat in the port cockpit locker and the front compartment under the cockpit sole. Nothing shows up all the imperfections more than fresh paint, but regardless, I've made the decision to not excessively sand or fair any part of the boat that you can't normally see. So for these parts the rule is cursory sanding, System Three Primer, then paint, and that will be enough.

The open hatch won't be finished until the boat is turned over.

I'm only putting primer+paint on the first section under the cockpit sole. The other areas will be mostly inaccessible after the cockpit sole is on. Another coat of primer and two coats of paint and the sole itself can be fitted.

The port cockpit seat and hatch are practially finished and I'm working on the starboard seat now. These have been a real pain to get right but are almost done.

Mick

PS While away I read "Heavy Weather Sailing" by Adlard Coles. Decades old, but I understand why it is still in print. The sea doesn't change and some of the stories and tales in there are enough to make me take up croquet rather than sailing...

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Got the other side done.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Mick!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

Looking good!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman