Bulbous bows

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Bulbous bows

Post by rick berrey »

Congrats , and go easy on the paint

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Nice! That looks like a lot of hard work executed with the precision you’ve repeatedly demonstrated. She’s going to be perfect down in the gulf.

Be careful with spray rails. Can’t remember who put them on an hull and changed the running trim on the boat. As much work as you’ve put in I’d hate to see it go sideways.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

They are making an awful lot of spray at 3500rpm; did not go higher as guests onboard. The BBs need to be made sharper and the spray rails mounted well above dwl. The spray rails would probably just help of there is a partial range of rpms that make spray.

I need to get the boat on plane.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks like the bulbous bows were designed to go through the water and not so much helping push the bow upward. So the water goes up the top of the BB then hits the original bow at a strange angle and causing the spray. And the BB are keeping the bow from rising as speed increases. And that is just judging from the single picture and the shape of the BB to the bow. They seem to add buoyancy to the bow but no lift with speed. Very sorry if I am wrong.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I think you have your major issue fixed by the look of the water line , you will work out the spray problem or learn to live with it , sort of like a slicker suit on a small cape horn . Once you get to CC you may be able to switch out some solar for wind , and depending on wind direction you may or may not have a spray problem .

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:50 am Looks like the bulbous bows were designed to go through the water and not so much helping push the bow upward. So the water goes up the top of the BB then hits the original bow at a strange angle and causing the spray. And the BB are keeping the bow from rising as speed increases. And that is just judging from the single picture and the shape of the BB to the bow. They seem to add buoyancy to the bow but no lift with speed. Very sorry if I am wrong.
Well, we never got up past 3500; so testing is needed.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Congrats man! Ambitious, aggressive, creative, daunting fix! Me, I would fair them up nicely, including sharpening the edges and get her up on a wide open plane before deciding on spray rails and location. Squatting a little to stern is a LOT better than squatting to the bow! Again, congrats! Take a bow (pun intended).
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:25 pm Congrats man! Ambitious, aggressive, creative, daunting fix! Me, I would fair them up nicely, including sharpening the edges and get her up on a wide open plane before deciding on spray rails and location. Squatting a little to stern is a LOT better than squatting to the bow! Again, congrats! Take a bow (pun intended).
Yup

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

cape man wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:25 pm Congrats man! Ambitious, aggressive, creative, daunting fix! Me, I would fair them up nicely, including sharpening the edges and get her up on a wide open plane before deciding on spray rails and location. Squatting a little to stern is a LOT better than squatting to the bow! Again, congrats! Take a bow (pun intended).
I had the same thought - boot it onto the plane and see what it does! :doh:

PS: I finally 'got' it - congratulations on some interesting work! :D

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BarraMan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:21 am
I had the same thought - boot it onto the plane and see what it does! :doh:

PS: I finally 'got' it - congratulations on some interesting work! :D
Had 88 year old onboard on Wednesday. As a Captain, I put the passengers safety and happiness above testing.

:doh: