Bulbous bows

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Bulbous bows

Post by BarraMan »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:45 am
BarraMan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:21 am
cape man wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:25 pm Congrats man! Ambitious, aggressive, creative, daunting fix! Me, I would fair them up nicely, including sharpening the edges and get her up on a wide open plane before deciding on spray rails and location. Squatting a little to stern is a LOT better than squatting to the bow! Again, congrats! Take a bow (pun intended).
I had the same thought - boot it onto the plane and see what it does! :doh:
PS: I finally 'got' it - congratulations on some interesting work! :D
Had 88 year old onboard on Wednesday. As a Captain, I put the passengers safety and happiness above testing.
:doh:
I'm sure that you do! The comment was NOT intended as a criticism of the past - just an enthusiastic suggestion for a future test run! :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

FG things are looking good you can always correct stern squat with trim tabs if you don't already have them. But man everything is starting to look good.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

FG, Have you managed a run on plane? The suspense is irritating my wife. Mostly because I keep mentioning it and she has no idea what I’m talking about.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I tested the boat Thursday night up around 5600 rpms and water was shooting up onto the windshield, so we have to deal with and correct spray.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:43 pm I tested the boat Thursday night up around 5600 rpms and water was shooting up onto the windshield, so we have to deal with and correct spray.
I think you were correct when you mentioned spray rails but may consider reverse chins to keep the water from being forced up the bulbous bow. But the placement will be very critical. You will get it there.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fg would have liked to see a picture of the outside spray since you say it is reaching the windshield. That is pretty aggressive spray. But either way I think you need an aggressive spray rail at the break carrying back to the hull where it bends under. Good luck to you.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Is spray coming up through trampoline?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

glossieblack wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:43 pm Is spray coming up through trampoline?
Spray is coming up through the tramp.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Approx what percentage of the spray coming up through the tramp is deflecting off the inner hulls, and what percentage direct from bulbs?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).