Bulbous bows

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Bulbous bows

Post by pee wee »

That's a lot of spray coming off the bb, but it's when it hits the hull and deflects outward and upward into the wind that it becomes a problem. Ideally you'd treat it as near the source as possible, but a spray rail on the bb might cause yet more problems. I doubt you want to experiment with different shaped bulbs at this point (although you could clad it with an outer shell), so my vote is spray rails on the hulls.
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Question is, and I am not sure at the moment, is the hull a planning hull, semi displacement or only displacement?

From the short video FG posted, it looks as if bulbous bows are not pushing the bow up for it to be a planning or semi planning. seen other videos of power cats and those with bows like FG's, before the BB where added, seemed to ride with the bow a little out of the water but they were 42, 50, 70 feet boats too and all inboards.
There was a video of a power cat with a bow shaped similar to FG with the BB. They had spray rails but still a lot of spray that I am sure a cross wind will pick up.

I think :doh: if the bow was first designed to not only part the water but put downward pressure to lift the bow as speed is increased then the bulbous bows need to be tweaked to do that too. If that is not the case then need spray rails on the upper side of the BB to redirect all that water coming over the top of the BB.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:11 pm Question is, and I am not sure at the moment, is the hull a planning hull, semi displacement or only displacement?

From the short video FG posted, it looks as if bulbous bows are not pushing the bow up for it to be a planning or semi planning. seen other videos of power cats and those with bows like FG's, before the BB where added, seemed to ride with the bow a little out of the water but they were 42, 50, 70 feet boats too and all inboards.
There was a video of a power cat with a bow shaped similar to FG with the BB. They had spray rails but still a lot of spray that I am sure a cross wind will pick up.

I think :doh: if the bow was first designed to not only part the water but put downward pressure to lift the bow as speed is increased then the bulbous bows need to be tweaked to do that too. If that is not the case then need spray rails on the upper side of the BB to redirect all that water coming over the top of the BB.
Semi-displacement.

Rpms too low. Video at 3100-3300..

Standing up there is 220 pounds forward and maybe a 5cm draft change.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Will FG seek to correct the problem at source by installing spray rails on the bulbs, because an unacceptable percentage of spray to the windshield is coming directly from them?
Is FG currently sea-trialling experimental spray rails on the bulbs?
Stand by. Time will tell. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

My attempts today were a massive failure.

I did a rough fairing and at about 2800 rpms, the water comes off the bb in 8x11 sized pieces like paper.

There was so much water at 4500 rpms the wipers could not keep up.

71165224226__1E055378-4D64-4E6E-AAEE-14D75C14F83F.jpeg
71165225324__1936DB5F-EE22-4149-A38F-DAD43D2A7C15.jpeg
IMG_0891.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

glossieblack wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:20 am Will FG seek to correct the problem at source by installing spray rails on the bulbs, because an unacceptable percentage of spray to the windshield is coming directly from them?
Is FG currently sea-trialling experimental spray rails on the bulbs?
Stand by. Time will tell. :D
The BB is underwater, so u tell me where the spray rail would go...

I am thinking maybe I need to get them up above the water more..

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’m assuming that as you speed up, the sheeting gets steeper, moves aft, and eventually reaches up to the deck/windscreen. Based on the video I’m not sure you can solve this with rails on the hulls since it’s the top of the bulbs that are send up the spray.

The two thoughts I have are:
1. Is the top of the bulb sharp enough?
2. Maybe a narrow deflector right on top of the bulb. Think an arc to the outboard side the pulls the spray over the top. Think #1 but sharpened to the outboard side and rounded on the inside. Not sure that makes sense.

Edit: tried to make a pic of #2. Port bow looking aft. The red part…
IMG_1693.png
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

I feel for you mate. A total pain.

I've watched the video a few times and looked at the previous shape compared to this one. The one observation I have is it looks to me that sharp edges seem to be prone to creating spray rather than reducing it - I also don't think that something under the waterline would help much (mainly as I assume that as you increase revs the bow will rise up out of the water anyway).

The closer something is to a sphere the less likely that is to create spray - smoother, less angular (submarines have pretty much spherical bows - for pressure reasons yes, but also less acoustic noise/turbulence as the water is shifted aside). Most hull shapes for the boats we build can't help spray and so try and deflect it away if it becomes necessary.

Bulbous bows on tankers etc., are more spherical in shape rather than sharp edges - i.e. bulb shaped. I know that isn't exactly the same thing at all as they are slow displacement hulls, but to my mind something less angular *might* help. That is not a suggestion, but it is my gut feeling. To remove all edges as much as possible - particularly on the leading and top edges - get away from the "diamond shape" (that you needed for strength) and make them more bulbous. I'm not the one doing the work though. Does that make any kind of sense? I could sketch something if it would help?

Also look at the top/side edges of the Aquila 70 you posted elsewhere. They are very rounded, not angular.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

My hunch is a T section with the cupped top of the T having a slightly larger footprint than the bulb below it, at a height around the upper red line in the pic you posted earlier.

In other words, the top of the T section to carry forward as far as the bottom red line, but at the height of the upper red line.

The spray needs to get clear of the bulb then be deflected down.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).