1988 Shoalwater 176 Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 1988 Shoalwater 176 Rebuild

Post by pee wee »

The fresh coat of paint and the lighting really show off the shape of the hull bottom. I don't know anything about those boats, but I can't remember ever seeing one shaped quite like that one with the semi-tunnel and the angled edges. What are these boats known for doing well? The name Shoalwater suggests going shallow, where do you plan to use it?
Hank

redfishjim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishjim »

Thanks Jeff. Hank, the hull does a couple things thing very well, and that's get shallow and hold a bunch of weight for its size (very wide - 8' beam). I plan on running it all over the Texas gulf coast marsh for reds, flounder, and trout. Then taking it to freshwater lakes for family camping trips. If you get caught in a chop, it's not going to be nice... trip planning to avoid getting caught in open water is expected. Sight fishing reds in shallow water is the most enjoyable trip for me, this boat fits the bill for around here. Shoalwater, Majek, Haynie, Transport, and Shallow Sport are some of the main Texas manufacturers that are specialized for Texas bays.

It'll be rigged with a 6" jackplate and 115 ProXS Mercury.

redfishjim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishjim »

Spent a day sanding down ther primer, started with 120 grit to knock down the big bumps, then went to 240 to just about eliminate any remnance of the graphite powder guide coat, then went to 400 for a final sand. Hit all the little imperfections with some glazing compound . Was going to spray topcoat on Sunday but wind was blowing over 20 mph. Next nice day, she'll be glossy!
Attachments
20240203_124210.jpg
20240203_124224.jpg
20240204_124331.jpg
20240204_135635.jpg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

It is looking good except for one thing. You have run the skeg all the way back to the tunnel. This is an absolute design fault. You need to cut the skeg off 18" in front of the tunnel, this will prevent the skeg from introducing disturbed water into the tunnel.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:55 pm It is looking good except for one thing. You have run the skeg all the way back to the tunnel. This is an absolute design fault. You need to cut the skeg off 18" in front of the tunnel, this will prevent the skeg from introducing disturbed water into the tunnel.

Tom
I agree with the main point. The grammar is a bit rough.

That skeg or strake, as placed, will introduce areated water to the tunnel. And the air will reduce prop efficiency and can result in blowout as the prop spins in air and achieves high rpm without effect.

Good catch Tom
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

redfishjim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishjim »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:55 pm
TomW1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:55 pm It is looking good except for one thing. You have run the skeg all the way back to the tunnel. This is an absolute design fault. You need to cut the skeg off 18" in front of the tunnel, this will prevent the skeg from introducing disturbed water into the tunnel.

Tom
I agree with the main point. The grammar is a bit rough.

That skeg or strake, as placed, will introduce areated water to the tunnel. And the air will reduce prop efficiency and can result in blowout as the prop spins in air and achieves high rpm without effect.

Good catch Tom

Well..., shit...lol. At this point of the game, might just pretend you didn't just say that. Makes complete sense what you're saying, I'm thinking...

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Just grind off 18-36" of the one that runs into the box. We've seen issues with them before where the guy can't even open the engine up.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

redfishjim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishjim »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:11 am Just grind off 18-36" of the one that runs into the box. We've seen issues with them before where the guy can't even open the engine up.
8O
I appreciate your comments, I have 17 oz biaxial and 1708, what would you use? and how many layers would you go with the patch? 3,4,5? Using 100% epoxy.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Hang on. Did you add that or was it in there from the factory?

While I agree with the statements, if the FACTORY had the skeg/strake that far back I’m not sure we should be so fast to recommend cutting it off. It’s probably the right thing, but why would the factory do it wrong?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

redfishjim
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishjim »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:52 pm Hang on. Did you add that or was it in there from the factory?

While I agree with the statements, if the FACTORY had the skeg/strake that far back I’m not sure we should be so fast to recommend cutting it off. It’s probably the right thing, but why would the factory do it wrong?
It's factory. Been running this way since 1988. Never heard of any issues with this hull, but some of you guys know a hell of a lot more about these boats than I do.