Dingy?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Dingy?

Post by Fuzz »

If you were going to build a ships dingy what one would you chose between a PK78, N7 and a D5?

fallguy1000

Re: Dingy?

Post by fallguy1000 »

TD3
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

skiff needs to be easy to row, stable enough for older folks to get in and out of without getting wet and light enough to hang on davits off the stern of a 30 foot sailboat.
Dan what is a TD3?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

After a summer with Odyssey, I have to say we really prefer using an inflatable vs. our fs17 for back and forth anchored in the bay here.

That's a little bit apples to potatoes for comparison, but.... Especially in calm to no winds or current anything tied behind at anchor moves differently than the biger boat and tends to nuzzle up beside. If building a fiberglass one you want to have a really good big and soft rubrail system.

That said. I would like something a little bigger than what we have now and probably a little bigger than what you have in mind as well. But you did get me thinking even if I don't have an answer for you.

For reference what we are currently using is an AB Inflatable 12VS with a 9hp motor. It can carry a huge load but only planes with 3 or less people.

Edit: I forgot what I had started out trying to say. The peace of mind and ease of holding the inflatable against the mother ship while getting people on and off is so much less stressful than with our fiberglass skiff without any soft edges/rubrail.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

I appreciate the extra width in the bow of a pram, especially if someone will ever sit there.

Its almost like having a one foot longer boat without the useless part of the tip just sticking out there looking pretty.

I put a foot-wide sole down the centerline of my FB11 to encourage stepping there. Stepping beside the centerline lists and rocks the little boat as it levels.
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The TD3 is Merten's pram designed dinghy that never got to print for distribution. I want to build it. Maybe next year..after my hip is repaired.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:37 am The TD3 is Merten's pram designed dinghy that never got to print for distribution. I want to build it. Maybe next year..after my hip is repaired.
Are the plans available some place?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Narfi I understand how the inflatable is nice for hanging off the boat so it does not beat up the hull. But this needs to be easy to row and they suck for that. My buddy is using one now and is looking for something different.
As stated the pram design is great if you can get by the looks. And if it works well the looks are not that big of a deal. And as I said it needs to be small and light enough to hang off the stern on davits.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

V12 or V10

Build light.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:34 pm V12 or V10

Build light.
I love the looks of the V10, V-12 but they are too long. I am thinking it needs to be 8 foot or less. Not sure if it matters how wide it is.