Any Weekender 12s been built?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Any Weekender 12s been built?

Post by jbo_c »

Looks like this was a Mertens design(?). So maybe less (direct)support for questions now. Anyway, I’m 5% done with my “big” boat build, so it’s probably way past time to begin considering what should be my next build. LOL

So, my design requirements are:
- Fits two adults easily(95%+ of use)
- Suitable for row and light power
- Pretty
- OK in mild chop - typical light lake powerboat silliness to fully protected water
- Tows OK to 6 knots or so

In that order, though I wish bumping pretty up made more since.

Has one been built and documented? My search only yields a few questions and answers, but no build.

I would consider a PK78 or D5, but I see the length just making for frustration and lack of use for me under oar- speed/effor ratio). If my intent was 100% power(which it may end up being), I’d probably build one of these, but there’s the ‘pretty’ and ‘easily fits 2” constraints.

Have dabbled with thoughts of other methods - SOF or strip built - as this build is as much for experience as function. Basically, this will scratch my build itch, while not preventing me from using the bigger (shanty) boat as much as is reasonable.

Thoughts? Points to a build or build thread?

Thanks.

Jbo

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Any Weekender 12s been built?

Post by pee wee »

The study plans say he designed it for his daughter, I wonder if she ever built it? I don't know, if you look at his priorities you see that quick and easy build comes first, followed by traditional looking. One man boat, but can fit another in when necessary. Sounds like it doesn't quite fit your wishes, but one 3 day weekend and you can find out!
Hank

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

But at 12 feet, it’s sure to be better for two than either the D5 or PK78. - and it’s far prettier than either to my eyes. There’s always the 10% stretch . . .

While I’m not looking for an easy build, I’m oK with it. I have debated using that design, but building it as a strip built project instead of S&G.

I’m thinking ahead, so time is on my side. :)

Jbo

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

In that size range and for your mission brief, the FL12 is a much better boat at the cost of slightly longer build time, and slightly more weight.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

You’re surely right in performance/plan.

FL12 doesn’t fit the “pretty” part of the requirement(to my eye). - not to knock the design. It’s fine.

Speed of build really has no impact on this one. It just so happened that the WE12 has very much the lines that I would like - in drawings, at least. That’s why I was looking for actual pictures.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

After looking some more, might consider the V10 or V12. Wonder how they would tow at 6 knots or so.

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

V12 with a low bow eye would make it. I’ve managed to get the v12 near that… surfing… in a hurricane… with the tide. One of those is slightly over stated. It was only the leading edge of a tropical storm.

That said, I’m biased for the v12. If I built her again and for something other than being beat to death the way I use Lil Bit, skip the extra layers of glass and the hull will be light and sprightly.

Less sexy, but fast to tow and stable loaded, sharpie based hulls. I’d love to build a CK17 as a fast, simple to sail day sailer.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.