Nov 2023: Community site migration to new hosting provider

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Nov 2023: Community site migration to new hosting provider

Post by Jaysen »

BBC is moving to a new hosting provider. The store was migrated Oct 28, 2023 and now we are up to the community sites. You can ask questions about the why but... it won't be much debate.

That said, here's than plan
1. Jaysen provisioning new servers dedicated to community, not sharing with store anymore
2. Initial sizing will be based on this weeks run of community now that the store is off our backend.
3. Jaysen starts a sync routine for all the assets. This will ensure we DON'T LOSE PHOTOS!
4. Jaysen automates that crap.
5. DB initial population
6. New site validation
7. DB sync w/ automation
8. set both into down state.
9. break all automation and replication
10. point community public URL to new hosts
11. run all the upgrades I've been putting off.
12. open it up to you all
13. take a nap.
14. fix all the stuff that's broken.

I figure that will take me the better part of two weeks. It has to be done by January, but I'd like to get it done faster. I will post any planned downtime as a notice on the forum. Unplanned downtime... is unplanned. We will be surprised. Just like my boss is when crap goes sideways at the corporate gig.

Anyhoo... this is the place to ask questions. have at it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Nov 2023: Community site migration to new hosting provider

Post by Jaysen »

Nov 3, 2023...

Everything has been going really well. I assume it will all break in now that I've typed that.

Tonight at 8p I'm doing the cutover. Typical data transfer is 30min. Outage should be less than 60 for both sites start to finish as I won't need to manually alter configs for anything other than DB credentials. Off to post about catching fish.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Updates compelte. Let me know if you have issues.

Some things that we did.
  • You will see some new things in the BBCode options.
  • Videos should work better now.
  • Version upgrades for PHPBB and Coppermine.
  • All the plugins that had updates available updated.
  • Big old beefy server (3x size) with lots o' disk space for room to grow.
  • Full segregation from store to reduce load impacting.
Everything should be working as well as before or better. Let me know if it's not.

Thank you all for your patience.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Thank you Jaysen, well done!

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thank you Jaysen!!! Jeff