SeaSport Repair

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: SeaSport Repair

Post by Fuzz »

It is amazing how a little thing can bring a project to a halt. I got all the glass work done and am ready to gel-coat. I needed some wax additive and none was to be found. I even went to the main glass supplier in Anchorage and they were out. Today a friend came up with some so I will be able to move on.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You should have said something... looking into duratec additive to replace wax. I've been using this exclusively and will not go back. I will add that I'm also spraying 90% of the time. If I'm not spraying, kind of like a pre-spary fill coat, then I skip wax/duratec and just spread it with a knife.

As a matter of fact been patching a boat this afternoon and noticed that I know have gel on my desk because I didn't take off my shirt.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

You can also spray poly vinyl alcohol over it which creates an air barrier and lets the gelcoat cure.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I have heard of Duratec but I have never used it. Not sure I have ever seen any for sale around here.
What is your method for patching/filling dock rash?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

narfi wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:05 pm You can also spray poly vinyl alcohol over it which creates an air barrier and lets the gelcoat cure.
Thanks Narfi. I have some PVA around here but I am not sure I have enough plus I was concerned I might not get good coverage. Also I kept thinking I would come up with some wax. At any rate I have it now and will be moving on with the job. Might be a day or two while I am waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. When it is -5 it is hard to get the shop up to 60f.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Glad we were there in June! Ouch!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz, assuming you have color match *ester…

Remove chip out with dremel or if damage is large RO.
Feather edges to 45deg with 80g drum
80g sponge sand area plus overspray/blend zone ensuring deeper center.
Fill craters unwaxed resin using cello to aid in smoothing (think peel ply)
220g sanding general fair
Once surface is decent

Mix 50/50 dyed resin + duratec.
Measure out enough for spray
If Preval sprayer, 10-15% styrene
Add MEKP for volume of resin+duratec
Spray

Clean tools 3x
Throw tools away because you missed something
Swear about cleaning better.

If I taped I wait until the surface won’t ache a finger print but isn’t cured.
Pull tape.
Use acetone on rag to feather tape edge and clean up over spray.

With the duratec I don’t need to sand unless I get a sag. Just go straight to compound and buff. I have been know to 8 coat to avoid sags.

I’ll post a 2hr fix that I didn’t take good pics of later today.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I know this is off topic but Fizz did ask. As mentioned above, this is a 2hr before after. No photos because… moving. The before was the initial engagement from customer.

Key notes: non-critical area of cap, damage was “crush”, no core exposed, manufacturer is … known compromiser on cap layups.

Removed a 2x3 dished area
Removed small gouge (upper area)
Laid strand, 12oz woven, faring in 2x3 dish
Taped and sprayed as above.
Final pic show tape removed some chemical removal of edge, small sag pre removal.

Not every job goes as planned. Or any if you are me. Recovery was another 1.4hr sanding and needs final coat and buff today.

That last photo was sent to customer as “I’m not happy with this and want to keep it another day”. He laughed and said I was 6weeks ahead of the next person who would even look at it. I just don’t like sending them back less than right.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

One thing I did not dhow was how bad the transom was dinged.
With it being ripped up that bad it was better to cut it out than try to patch it.
This lead to what was the best way to tie everything back together. So I ended up with just a small whales tail to tie to.
The hull is 37 years old so matching the old gelcoat would be a challenge for me. The good news is all the new glass work will be buried under the outboard bracket. :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

And here she is with all the glass work done.
I will clean up the deck and recoat it. Might as well put a little lipstick on the old pig :lol:
The whole point of showing this is to point out if you can build a boat there is not much on one you can not repair.