New boat from elsewhere

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Walter Thom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

New boat from elsewhere

Post by Walter Thom »

I have decided to build a boat from another designer. Is it still OK to use this forum for builds outside BBC? I will still need advice on a lot of things as I go through this build. It will be my first build. Do you want me to list the boat I will be building. I will be buying all of my materials from BBC.
Thanks
Walter Thom

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: New boat from elsewhere

Post by jbo_c »

If you are buying materials here, you should still feel OK posting progress and questions. Do please support BBC, especially if you are using the site. You won’t find better help, materials or service anywhere else.

Personally, I avoid any specific details about designs/designers from other places, but just because it seems respectful to me, not because it’s a rule(as far as I know).

There will be some logical limits to some specific answers folks here will be able to give without access to the designer/plans. Otherwise, you aren’t likely to find a better, more helpful community than the folks here.

Jbo

Walter Thom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Walter Thom »

I was hoping that I could still use the site because of the great advice given for me and others. I won't give out the name of the designer. Should I post photos of the build or just seek advice. I don't want to step on any toes and yes all of the materials will be purchased from Boat Builder Central.
Thanks
WalterThom

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Honestly, it’s not a problem to name what you’re building and ask questions to get help for ANY designer’s plans. Just be aware that BBC doesn’t support them and the advice you get is that of “amateur boatbuilders” unless you get certification of their qualifications.

And don’t try to push the other guys plans on other queries. This is a BBC sponsored site so try not to steer business elsewhere.

If you want official sanction to post details of your build I can ask Jeff or Reid to comment as well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Walter Thom will be glad to follow your build. Just set up a section in Builder's Power Boats and you can document your build there. Tell us what kind of boat it is and describe it as much as you can.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

This is a friendly forum. And people will do their best to help. You ought to name the designer and plan; it'll make it more fun.

Most of us are going to give you good advice. Now and then small disagreements land, but rarely are difficult to discern.

The other day I tried to answer a question and completely botched, but we all make a good team of helpers. And I got a correction.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Walter Thom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Walter Thom »

Some folks say to post the name of the designer and others are against it. So, if you would like I'll post the name of the boat and you can go from there.
I do on have a question on bottom paint which Jaysen answered on a different post of mine but, I would like to know if you agree with there being no need for a bottom paint if a high quality Topside paint from BBC is sufficient. I will be leaving it in the water for no more than 1 week at a time twice a year. Now some folds say that if the boat is left in the water for more than 3 days in a row, it must have a bottom paint because water will start to permeate into the paint and start to blister. Now the folks that told me this are from another supply house and do sell what is a highly praised paint by users as being a great product but... what do you say to that? I want to do it right the first time and have no qualms against using a graphite but, if I can get away with just a great top coat that would be great. In full disclosure, I am going to beach this build for shore breaks a couple times a day. I have a dog and I also need to get out to stretch my legs. So, Graphite or a great topside paint or some kind of scuff resistant coating? I don't want a paint that will sluff off thereby needing a constant refreshing. I would like something durable and long lasting that could be just touched up as needed.
Thanks
Wally

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

If you are going to post a build thread just specify the design, no reason to make people hunt for it.

I am not aware of a topside paint that I would be comfortable using below the waterline. It sounds like you don't want an ablative bottom paint as those are the ones that wear down quickly. You could do the graphite thing or a hard bottom paint liek copper coat.

Walter Thom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Walter Thom »

I have been leaning towards a graphite and will check out the copper coat.
Thanks again
Walter Thom

Walter Thom
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Walter Thom »

The boat is an Inlet Runner 18 by Dix Design. Mine will be the first one of this size. There half been a few of the Inlet Runner 16's and the folks that built these are happy with them. After communicating with them and getting answers to how they perform I have made the decision to go that route.
Thanks
Walter Thom