RB16 new build KY 1st timer

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: RB16 new build KY 1st timer

Post by Buz »

You getting that backwards, Jaysen? Both the System3 and the BBC microballoons I have are white.

Feeling like I am in the Twilite Zone.
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

It's been a while since I've bought any, but all my bags are blue, red and green (sizes). Only silica has been white. If yours are labled then go with that. The BBC site doesn't have a picture. I'll check with Ried/Jeff later today.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Glass will appear white, phenolic will be colored. I must have all phenolic. I figured out phenolic is what BBC puts in the fairing mix making it pink.

Great catch on that.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

Fairing suck😊🤬

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

TommyD wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:37 pm Fairing suck😊🤬
the vac should be doing that...

more balloons and higher additive in the epoxy will help it suck less. Apply as little compound as possible as well.

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

Hi Jaysen, used all my microballloons last week filling the weave, I’ve switched to quickfair.

I’ve been putting the top back on the quickfair after each mixing while I put down the mixed compound. Just watched a video of someone fairing and they left their top off. Is this ok and for how long is that possible without messing up the fairing compound?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’m not a quickfair guy, but is it a two part epoxy product so it doesn’t cure until mixed. I would cover it between longer periods but if you are going to be making small batches you should be ok leaving it open while using.

Just don’t use your mixing stick to dip more out. That will introduce catalyst/hardener to the can and … bad feelings will result.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

The tops will glaze over if you leave it open for long, but unless you use the same tool to pick up each part it should be fine. I will never use anything else for fairing.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

Thanks guys, left open with no problems while using. Made things go much faster. My dream of fairing 1 time with microballons and being ready for primer has been crushed!

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

Have a slight hook/hog of about 1/8” from about 8’ in front of stern to the transom. Do I need to fair that out? Stations b&c are not sitting on the jig at the center point.
IMG_3176.jpeg
image.jpg