RB16 new build KY 1st timer

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

RB16 new build KY 1st timer

Post by TommyD »

What is the sweet spot motor and speed for this build? If I don't need 40hp why spend the extra?

What is the opinion on motor HP vs weight? Looking to cruise at 25-30mph. Is that realistic for this boat.

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: RB16 new build KY 1st timer

Post by TommyD »

Reid suggested posting here to get more eyes on my project. Thanks for all of your help and input!

Here is my original build thread.
viewtopic.php?p=512040#p512040
Last edited by TommyD on Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
IMG_3122.jpeg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Loosen (cut) ties and try again. The key is slowly tightening all the ties not just zipping one area tight then moving to the next. The wood will shift quite a bit as in ways that seem wrong requiring you to make adjustments fairly often.

Hopefully that helps.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

You can use small pieces of pvc pipe under each zip tie to hold the 2 panels in place, small pipe 1" max
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

TommyD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TommyD »

Think I’m ready to do some gluing. Nothing is over 1/4” gap. Certainly will have to do some fairing and sanding.
IMG_3125.jpeg
IMG_3126.jpeg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It looks like you aren't lined up very well in a couple spots, and have hard contact between hull panels rather than a gap . . you can't go back and fix alignment after you've glued it, but I fully understand the desire to feel like you're making progress.

My suggestion (freely given and you are free to ignore it) would be to take it slow at this stage and coax things into shape, check alignment, check for flatness in the aft portion of the running surface and make sure the molds are still square to each other, etc. Sometimes the plywood needs a few days to get used to the new shape you're asking it to assume.

In general you are looking good, once that boat is together it's going to be a fine looker.
Hank

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I agree with pee wee, more patience but you're getting close. Can't tell if you used the PVC pieces behind the zip ties tip. That helped me a lot.

Dougster

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

The guys are giving good advice and I would do as they have said.For me I would want the side panels to line up with the bottom. If you end up with a big gap at the bow for the side panels it is no big deal. Epoxy/wood flour will fix a lot of problems. :D

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

In addition to starting loose again, how about putting an eye-bolt thru the gap at the bottoms' tips so you can pull it down and in toward the jig to get them lined up.
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23